• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

How high will a balloon go?

340drvr

Total Time
Nice video and pix!
IIRC, those rubber balloons do a bit better if "seasoned" prior to inflation, warming them in an "oven", can't remember exactly, but maybe like 80-100deg. for several hours?
I think the highest soundings are made with the plastic envelopes. (Raven Industries, and here: http://www.aerostar.com/aerospace.htm, are examples) The limiting factor for the balloon's max. altitude is whenever it bursts; we used to cut a small vent in one of the seams of the plastic balloons, (wouldn't work with the rubber ones) the idea being as the envelope expands to full radius, the small vent slot would prevent a burst. (You probably knew all this stuff anyway.) Good luck, looks like a lot of fun!

Last edited:

cynic

Total Time
> 1500
I think the highest soundings are made with the plastic envelopes. (Raven Industries, and here: http://www.aerostar.com/aerospace.htm, are examples)

I would like to get one of those but...

Balloons will not be sold to amateur radio clubs
or similar organizations.

Sigh.... Not to mention the insurance "Balloon flights must be conducted under the protection of a minimum
of US $10 million liability policy."

ualdriver

Total Time
13Kish
But how high would it go if it were somehow connected to a treadmill.....

BEfly

Regular User
Total Time
very cool. I'd imagine that balloon is the size of a Voltswagon towards the end?

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time