Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How does the IFR clearance process work ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
re-route

gkrangers said:
Ok...so I file...then what?

Who approves the clearance ?

Who ammends it ?

Who deems it acceptable ?

Does a computer see the routing and say "hell no", then formulate another route, or what ?

If your IFR to any destination in the Northeast sector after 12noon, you can expect to hear ahh "airline 123 advise when ready to copy your re-route" several times

Wouldn't it be neat if all the center computers could talk to each other and we (the pilots) had access to all the non-published preferred routes! I guess that's just wishful thinking as long as the gov't is in charge and the lowest bidder gets to build the systems.

All info is right on ... I want to add one thing. One more reason for a pref routing off the ground and then reroute in the air has to do with data processing in the NAS. You depart airport A in New England, landing airport B in the South East, for all facilites between A and B to get proper flight plan info on your A/C certain routings must be filed for the info to process. It's a computer thing. Many airports, especially in the NE, have very complex stratified airspace, numerous apporach controls under ARTCC's, military warning areas, etc. Once off the ground you're properly processed in the system, we then try and cut you short if we can.

Ever since I started using Flightsoft I get "cleared as filed" 90% of the time.

Latest resources

Back