• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
J

John C. Holmes

Hello,
I just graduated college last week and am ready to finish of the rest of my ratings. ie inst- MEI,,

Im interested in the ANG as we have a KC-135 unit here in LNK.How do you join the guard?, Will I be shipped staight to Iraq? I just am uncomfortable taking out a $50K plus loan to get done ,and am considering the ANG as an alternative.Any thoughts?

John C. Holmes said:
Hello,
I just graduated college last week and am ready to finish of the rest of my ratings. ie inst- MEI,,

Im interested in the ANG as we have a KC-135 unit here in LNK.How do you join the guard?, Will I be shipped staight to Iraq? I just am uncomfortable taking out a $50K plus loan to get done ,and am considering the ANG as an alternative.Any thoughts?

Call the unit. I clipped this from baseops.net. They say they don't send pilots to SUPT, which is USAF pilot training. There are other units close to you. Do the research and start calling. Ask to speak to the chief pilot. I DO NOT WANT TO START A CIV VS MIL ARGUMENT. There is no better flight training in the world than SUPT. That is why mil guys can get hired with a fraction of the hours as civ only guys.

You will not be sent to Iraq if you join a KC-135 unit. In fact, the Air National Guard and USAF Reserves are not, to my knowledge, involuntarily activating people.

Nebraska Air National Guard - Offutt AFB The Nebraska ANG is accepting applications for traditional Guard (part-time) positions at Offutt AFB. The 170th Operations Support Squadron provides aircrew training and operations support for the active duty 55th Wing at Offutt AFB. Applications will only be accepted from Pilots, Navigators, Electronic Warfare Officers (EWO's) and Airborne Systems Engineers (ASE's) with recent RC/OC/WC/KC/EC-135 experience. No full-time positions are available at this time. The 170th OSS also has enlisted vacancies in several non-flying operations career fields. THIS UNIT DOES NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FOR SUPT OR SUNT. For information on officer positions contact SMSgt Peggy Brown at DSN 279-1172, Comm 402-309-1172, 800-688-2196 or [email protected]. For enlisted positions contact MSgt Alden Harriman at DSN 279-1173, 402-309-1173, 800-688-2196 or [email protected].

Joining the ANG as a pilot can be a long and difficult process, but it is very rewarding. Most units typically have a UPT selection board once per year. Call the units in your area and find out when they have the next board. Sioux City, IA Topeka, KS and Wichita, KS all have 135 units that are relatively close to where you are. Talk to the Air Operations Officer or Director of Operations, not the recruiter.

It can take a year or longer to get hired by the ANG, then several months to get into training, then one year of SUPT, then your assigned aircraft, then you get to go to IRAQ the next time your Guard unit deploys.

Before committing to a flying career in the military, do some soul searching on exactly why you want to join. There is a lot more to being a military pilot than just the pilot stuff.

Tankers don't go to Iraq and they have not been deployed/activated since 2003. Gunfighter is a fighter dude and their world differs a bit. The KC-135s are being equipped with the Blk 40 mods and are among the most advanced aircraft in the world. It would definitely be outstanding experience for commericial aviation, but like Gunfighter said that's not the reason to be a mil pilot.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
The KC-135s are being equipped with the Blk 40 mods and are among the most advanced aircraft in the world.
:laugh: :erm: :eek:

Lipstick on a pig does not make it one of the "most advanced Aircaft in the world" While I enjoy flying the Tanker, it lacks many things required of most modern Transport Jets, Like being able to Cool it on the Ground.

To answer the original question, Go to BASEOPS.net or Call your guard Recruiter. Or Go the the Unit and ask to talk to the guy in charge of Pilot Selection. Also, LNK sends people to SUPT, but OFF does not.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Tankers don't go to Iraq and they have not been deployed/activated since 2003. Gunfighter is a fighter dude and their world differs a bit. The KC-135s are being equipped with the Blk 40 mods and are among the most advanced aircraft in the world. It would definitely be outstanding experience for commericial aviation, but like Gunfighter said that's not the reason to be a mil pilot.

They may not end up in Iraq, but they do alot of time in tent cities in the middle east. I did alot of time over there with both Reserve and Guard units, they all claimed that they could not be sent there, but we were in the same tents together!

Point: No Guard/Reserve tanker pilot has been involuntarily deployed anywhere since 2003.

Don't volunteer!

Don't ever, ever, ever volunteer to go sit in a tent in the sand box. And don't fall for the "you're not participating enough in the unit" crap either. The Reserves/Guard requires UTA's, TP's and Annual Tour. If you give them the UTA's, Annual tour, and TP's you have fulfilled your part of the agreement. You should be able to remain qualified in seat without any more days.

Tell the schedulers what requirements you need and they should work to keep you from going non-current.

Anymore availability is a bonus to them. Or unless you're double dippin' or you can get paid more than once in a day.

Cheers!

I do not agree with this train of thought. I volunteered to deploy in March of 2003 (although it was listed as involuntary.) I also have made it known that if I am needed, I will go back. Its about helping out where there is a need. Its about not watching everyone else go do the work while you sit back and do nothing. We have some folks that min run it and they are the ones you cannot rely on to help out. They went to UPT, got their wings and then you only see them for drill. They are not an asset to the unit and are pretty much dead weight. Doing all the min stuff may keep you qualified, but it makes you USELESS when there is real need. If it were up to me, I would send only the ones who min run it to the desert and then when they got back, toss them out.

This is also an indicator of the leadership in the unit that allows this not to mention the individual.

Sad really...

If your there to fly around the flag pole, then get out and let someone in who is willing to put in some serious time.

Back to the question as to joining. KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE GETTING YOURSELF IN TO! It has been and will continue to be, a great way to serve and you will not meet a finer group of people. I cannot imagine my life without it.

Best of luck.

NTS ALL 4 said:
Don't ever, ever, ever volunteer to go sit in a tent in the sand box. And don't fall for the "you're not participating enough in the unit" crap either. The Reserves/Guard requires UTA's, TP's and Annual Tour. If you give them the UTA's, Annual tour, and TP's you have fulfilled your part of the agreement. You should be able to remain qualified in seat without any more days.

Tell the schedulers what requirements you need and they should work to keep you from going non-current.

Anymore availability is a bonus to them. Or unless you're double dippin' or you can get paid more than once in a day.

Cheers!

Careful about ragging on the "min" runners. You may one day be one. Everyone has situations that put the ANG on the back burner.

Your priorities should always be family, civilian job and then the ANG. If anyone ever tells you different they are wrong. Plus the demands placed on pilots just to remain current today take almost everything out of a part timer.

I agree we should try to do our part, however my committment is UTA's, FTP's and two weeks a year. Before you start on me, I was activated for two years and spent plenty of quality time with the sand (voluntary and involuntary).

CLAMBAKE

Latest resources

Back