Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

uwochris

Flightinfo's sexiest user
Just wondering how you guys do your t/o and climbs- do you always do it at WOT, or do you use partial power?

Aside from noise abatement procedures, is it ever wise not to use partial power? In one of John Deakin's article from the Pelican's Perch on Avweb, he vehemently criticizes doing a t/o or climb other than WOT because it increases the risk of detonation. What do you think of this?

Also, how do you guys lean your mixtures? Peak EGT vs. Best Power?

TIA.

Chris.

It depends on runway length, weight, temps, etc, etc, etc ,

In the smaller airplanes you are probably use to (aka C152 or C172, then no partial power is not very smart)

When you fly bigger, faster, equipment then things are done differently. We refer to manuals with regards to what the power settings should be for T.O, climb, etc. FMS also makes life rather easy.

Au revoir,

3 5 0

For piston powered aircraft, WOT is good for about 500 feet AGL, after that, you generally need to throttle back some, at least on planes with C/S props, because you will be into the redline. Also, the engines have a max T/O rating, which is good for 5 minutes. I seem to remember that this applies to many turbine engines as well. After 1000 feet AGL, I begin leaning the engine.

I suppose it is less of an issue with 172's, but don't remember.

When you read Deakin, who is a strong proponent of LOP, you have to take it in context. Remember he is one of the "guest speakers" at GAMI. Last year we had a TCM guy come to our meeting, and he commented that some engines tolerate LOP, but many do not. The 550 does, but the 360 does not.

Just food for thought.

Reduce Thrust T/O when possible. Extends engine life and saves the company alot of money on wear/tear. The only thing that sux is that to attain a high ratio of RTO's, the company had to come up with some pretty wacko engine out proceedures (combinations of turns and nonstandard accel hights) at certain airports.

Takeoff power and leaning

I was taught and always taught that you use maximum power for all takeoffs. Maximum power would include leaning for takeoffs at high DA airports, which I'll address below.

I felt that using anything less than max takeoff power was taking a chance. What if you run out of runway and/or fail to clear the obstacle. What if you need full power suddenly and a linkage problem stops you from opening the throttle fully?

Another line of thinking is using less than full power requires more revolutions of the engine to get to the same place, which increases engine wear.

We had a leaning discussion elsewhere on the board. Follow the POH. As a rule of thumb, at high DA airports, such as Denver, I always leaned for max RPM for takeoff. At low DA airports, such as Vero Beach with field elevation at sea level or Oklahoma City, with field elevation of about 1200 feet, I did not lean. Once I had the mixture set according to DA as set forth above, I would leave it alone until I reached cruise altitude. Of course, in an airplane with constant-speed prop, I made my power change to climb power at the appropriate time.

Hope that helps some more.

Take offs are quite simple really. Just brute force over ignorance. The landings are the part that can bite. But if you can't get the first two minutes and last two minutes right the rest doesn't matter.

Happy Holidays to all.:)

Turbo:

That was great!

Best one-liner I have seen all year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back