How Do You Steal a Plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
erj-145mech said:
With Microsoft Flight Sim, you can just jump in the real deal after a few hours self check out to go from point A to point B as long as nothing goes haywire.

Actually, you're not that far off. I have "played" with Flight Sim for years, and the latest version (FS 2004) is quite realistic. Some of the payware designers have worked to recreate the aircrafts' systems down to the minute detail. The user manuals for some of those planes take hours to understand. Overhead panels, fuel systems, etc. are detailed thanks to consulting w/ aircraft manufacturers and testers.

Add to that the aforementioned Vatsim, where a Flight Sim user can fly while interacting with live atc (either text or voice), and the experience gets real quite quickly.

Once a person has been "flying" an airplane on the computer for a while, I'd suppose the real thing wouldn't be that hard. Of course, I don't think I'd be able to hop into a 747 and go to China, but stealing a few hours in a twin wouldn't be unthinkable.

--Dim

pilot91101 said:
Here are the directions.....
1. Mixture -- RICH
2. Carburetor Heat -- COLD
3. Prime -- AS REQUIRED, IN, and LOCKED
4. Throttle -- OPEN 1/2 INCH
5. Master Switch -- ON
6. Rotating Beacon -- ON
7. Propeller Area -- CLEAR
8. Ignition Switch -- START (RELEASE when engine starts)
9. Throttle -- ADJUST for 1000 RPM or less
10. Oil Pressure -- CHECK
11. Mixture -- LEAN for Max RPM's, or RICH below 3000'
12. Radios, Avionics Power Switch -- ON
13. Transponder -- Standby

NEXT
1. Wing Flaps -- 0° - 10°
2. Carburetor Heat -- COLD
3. Throttle -- FULL OPEN
4. Elevator Control -- LIFT NOSE WHEEL at 50 KIAS
5. Climb Speed -- 65-75 KIAS

I would argue that you only need to do #s 1,4,5,8 in the top list and only #s 3 and 5 from the bottom list. Everything else is wasting time. I would omit #13 or change it to OFF. LOL

Last edited:
the_dimwit said:
Actually, you're not that far off. I have "played" with Flight Sim for years, and the latest version (FS 2004) is quite realistic. Some of the payware designers have worked to recreate the aircrafts' systems down to the minute detail. The user manuals for some of those planes take hours to understand. Overhead panels, fuel systems, etc. are detailed thanks to consulting w/ aircraft manufacturers and testers.

Add to that the aforementioned Vatsim, where a Flight Sim user can fly while interacting with live atc (either text or voice), and the experience gets real quite quickly.

Once a person has been "flying" an airplane on the computer for a while, I'd suppose the real thing wouldn't be that hard. Of course, I don't think I'd be able to hop into a 747 and go to China, but stealing a few hours in a twin wouldn't be unthinkable.

--Dim
To a certain degree, I can agree with you. People who are going to be in the military or police, should play paintball with the rest of the indigs that do it. Why? because simulated armed confrontation yields lots of learning experience. However, playing paintball doesn't teach you everything there is about department policy, real guns, imediate action drills, or a few other things that Bill Jordan would tell you are "hooey".

"With Microsoft Flight Sim, you can just jump in the real deal after a few hours self check out to go from point A to point B as long as nothing goes haywire."

......forget going to those over priced Flight Safety Recurrent classes every year...... ..

I read somewhere that his father flies the Citation VII for a medical company. If thats true, then he'd have easy access to operation manuals and procedures to further give him the ability to do something like this.

And I have to agree, MS Flight Sim can be extremely realistic - atleast to the point of allowing someone to fly and operate an aircraft.. I've taught a couple students who had been flight-simmers long before they started training, and it was amazing how ahead of the game they were for beginners. Really made a big difference.

FN FAL said:
However, playing paintball doesn't teach you everything there is about department policy, real guns, imediate action drills, or a few other things that Bill Jordan would tell you are "hooey".

You're right, of course, although I have no idea who Bill Jordan is. Anything simulated does not convey real-life experiences--it only gives you a concept from which to work.

As far as the Flight Sim experience is concerned, there are ways to give the "pilot" a somewhat true-to-life experience. Virtual airlines are managed in much the same way as the real ones: Poorly, and with little to no common sense. (There are a few that are pretty good, though.) There are even add-on programs that record how good or bad a flight is, compute the effects on the airplane, and then deduct points. Another twist to that is the program that lets you manage the aircraft, complete with money for repairs. The good flights make you money, but if your "passengers" are not happy due to a bounced landing (or getting lost and taking too long to get to a destination), you will lose revenue.

The point I'm trying to make is this: Virtual flying is not the same as the real thing, but it's awfully close.

--Dim

the_dimwit said:
You're right, of course, although I have no idea who Bill Jordan is. Anything simulated does not convey real-life experiences--it only gives you a concept from which to work.
--Dim
Bill Jordan wrote "no second place winners" and was a highly regarded memeber of the US Border Patrol back in the day when men were men and women liked it.

As far as simulation goes, I have found that approaches on desk top sim helped with situational awarenes prior to going on a trip. I have also found that playing paint ball yields similar results. I'm sure that persons who looked at being great skydivers found that wind tunnel time helped out as well...and I'm not joking, there are wind tunnels for practicing skydiving.

However, that windtunnel will not teach you what to do, when you backing up against power lines and a row of houses, when a freak gust front hits the airport and you have to pull a rabbit out of your hat. (I'm still living that story down and I am living to tell the tail).

Latest resources

Back