How do you like your job? Would you do it again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

I'm facing a difficult decision. I love flying I've been are planes since I was born. I am a ATP and have all of my instructor ratings. I am at the point where I'm regional material. A couple thousand hours and a couple hundred multi. I have serious problems with the QOL of a airline pilot help share some insights with me for those guys that have "made" it.

Do you still love to fly?
Do you hate your job?
How much are you away from home?
What does your spouse think?
Would you do it again?
Do you feel appreciated at work? (or just a number)
Do you feel safe?
Is it stressful?

Thanks

Well, not that I have "made it" by any means...but I will give this a whirl.....

I would not say LOVE, but yes its fun. I like the time off best of all.

Do you hate your job?
Nope..but I have had flying jobs I hated!

approx 85 nights last year, 75% International

Since we met I flew, shes used to it. Likes that we have more time together than the average couple but the longer trips can wear on her and the kids. If the girlfriend/fiance is leary going into it...ditch her right now. It wont work. It takes an incredible woman to live with a pilot and raise thier family solo at times. But it is funny that young kids wonder why their friends dads are not home all week...."wheres YOUR daddy" Makes me wonder if I set a bad example by working so little...nah...

Would you do it again?
Nope, I would have persued a diffrent area which is more stable and pays better - and I have a pretty stable gig for now. I cant imagine how many airline guys feel these days...nope...would not do it again myself....maybe rent as a hobby. I have many friends who stuck it out and did more school - went into Law/Medicine and are MUCH better off now - not just money wise (thats a given) but stability, self gratification, etc..

actually, yes, I am lucky to work with a great group of folks. Pilots decisions are respected and not challenged - right up to the top.

Do you feel safe?
Ah...yeah. I dont think I would do it if I didnt. Never had a flying job where I felt unsafe...cx'd trips and stuck my neck out for unsafe items, but never felt unsafe....if you takeoff and feel unsafe - you shouln't have taken off. Its pretty simple. But I also passed on jobs that were tempting but were known to be shady...So the general level of safety is really up to you.

Is it stressful?
VERY rarely...high pressure pax and things are falling apart (handler blow, Intl clearances, slot times, you overslept, etc...) can get you running a bit. The first type rating or two, rides with feds...used to be a little stressful - but I suppose that it made passing that much better (and the beers that followed) Other than that flying is generally fairly boring...other than the destinations!

Hope that helps at all.

Last edited:

I second the above, surely don't "love" it but I do "enjoy" it to a certain degree.

Do you hate your job?

No, but I have had jobs in the past that I did dislike.

It varies...

n/a - single

Would you do it again?

Absolutely not... I would have went to medical school, became a thoracic surgeon, and entered a "stable" and a very well paying profession. This industry is on life support and a funeral director has been on stby for quite some time now. The industry is not nearly what it once was many years ago, ya got "feeders" taking mainline flying away and flying for peanuts, etc, etc,. Take a look at DAL. Personal preference is what it comes down to, bottom line...

Do you feel safe?

Yes, should I feel otherwise?

Is it stressful?

No, it is only as "stressful" as you make it.

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:

n/a - single
yeah that's what you'll be if they all find out about one another...;)

Would you do it again?

Heck no! Look at those who are at the very pinnacle of this profession. They are losing their retirements, taking 30% percent paycuts, and working much more than they expected. Pensions could become a thing of the past. Probably the most you could ever hope for would be to make about 170k flying for SWA doing 20 minute turns for the next 30 years while figuring out how to fund your retirement. If that does it for you go for it, however if you want more in the way of pay, etc try somethingelse.

Dispatcher Angle

Even though I am a dispatcher, unequivocally NO, I wouldnt do it again. This industry used to be fun, but no more. I dont even read any of the aviation mags anymore at home, for it seems too much like work anymore. Even stopped my AOPA membership - just way too burnt out.

I would go do something else; I'm tired of getting home at 2am after leaving home for work at 11am. Yeah, the reg says I cant be "scheduled" over a 10 hour day, but with the standard irregular operations, where working over 2-3 hours each night has become the norm, its the old scheduled versus actual argument.

One thing I've learned, especially now with a house, wife, and mortgage, is don't knock stability. This industry is nothing but unstable anymore, and I dont foresee it getting any better anytime soon.

Too bad I missed this year's instances of the LSAT - maybe I could go get another degree in something and start over again, at 37...

"for the next 30 years while figuring out how to fund your retirement."

Pensions are all but gone for anyone but government workers. I could live just fine on 170K a year.

Yes, love it.

Do you hate your job?
No, best job I ever had.

Home every night.

Not married, but girlfriend loves it.

Would you do it again?
Yes.
Very appreciated, and treated with respect and like human.

Do you feel safe?
As safe as I want to be.
Is it stressful?
Either very stressful or not at all. Paragraphs of pure monotony punctuated by moments of stress.

Pay is 50+ a year, and that is a salary, whether I fly or not.
Fly around 300 hours a year.
Average 1000 hours "away from home time" a year.
Around 3800 hours a year of on call time".
But I "have not made it" I work for a 135 operation.

Mark

vetteracer said:

"Pensions are all but gone for anyone but government workers. I could live just fine on 170K a year."

and mark my words, government workers will have their pension plans changed just like the rest of us.

"and mark my words, government workers will have their pension plans changed just like the rest of us."

I agree, it's a comin'

You know the old scam, work for the Govt for 30 years, get pension and retire, then work in the private sector for 2.5 year, and receive full Social Security benefits that the rest of us paid into over the last 45 years of our lives.

Mark

Latest resources

Back