How do you like your job? Would you do it again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rvsm410 said:
You know many other industries have alliances with each other and still compete at the same time. Oil companies, Rx, many more...none of them are loosing money...

People will always fly, some will balk at increade fares...so.....we all balk at higher gas prices, taxes, a laof of bread anad a gallon of milk....so we stop buy them because they went up on price NO......

Tha same for ALL the airlines....RAISE THE DARN FARES TO A PROFIETABLE LEVEL, The airlines need to form there own alliance to protect the fares....so what if the LCC dont join...many people are sick and tried of the routine they must endure at a SWA or Airtran gate to get somewhere......If the airlines in this alliance were to go on a 1 month shut down, the LCCs could not carry all of them, the lines and over bookings would be terrible and they would plead for someone to do something to get more people back in the air...

AIR TRAVELERS NEED A WAKE-UP CALL..... EVERYONE RAISE THE PRICES

How is that this industry has not followed suit with everything else we buy everyday??? its got to stop, NOW stop taking form the employees, make the people pay the tab as they do everywhere else...

Auto gas prices went throught the roof this summer, we complained and then went out and filled up the SUV so we could continue our life style.....
Your advice would also be illegal too. If the airlines got together to coordinate raising of prices, government would also come down on them pretty hard and rightfully so. Price fixing and monopolies are not compatible with free market and competion.

I am sure if GM/Ford/Chrysler all announced one day there were acting in unison and upping the price of autos together, by a fixed amount, there would be a big outcry, even on here.

While thinking if the airlines just raised prices together would solve problems, and while it may in the short term, it still would not be a long term solution and would only put off the problems they are facing.

While I certainly do not want to see the legacy carriers go away, I also would not support a price cartel to prop them up either.

That would be a very bad road to go down too. can you imagine what would happen after that? Every company out there having problems would demand the same thing.

I'm another "regional" pilot who'll chime in. I'm forty years old and I've been working for Eagle for thirteen years now, so I'm not some starry-eyed naive kid who hasn't figured it out yet. Here goes:

Do you still love to fly?
Emphatically, yes! I've enjoyed every hour of flight in every airplane I've ever flown. It's not like I've got a constant smile on my face when I'm airborne, but deep down inside I'm happy sitting in the airplane at that very instant.

Do you hate your job?
No. Never have. I happen to work for a corporation that can make life trying at times (to say the least) but I do not hate my job. Overall, I like my job. With my seniority the pay is fine. I'm not going to get rich any time soon but I didn't get into this biz because I wanted to get rich. However,my wife and I do pretty well when we combine our salaries. I have no complaints about money.
I also find it enjoyable that I'm not stuck in the 9 to 5 rut that most employees find themselves in. I've been there and done that. I hated every moment of it. I personally can not think of any profession that would give me more personal satisfaction than the one I have now. Most people I know, no matter what they do and no matter how much they make, spend the entire week looking at the clock and the calendar waiting for the end of the day and the end of the week. What kind of satisfaction is that?

Another benefit I enjoy is the ability to travel all over the world ridiculously cheaply (on standby, of course, but who cares). My wife and I have traveled to Europe so many times in first class, I've lost count. We're going on a safari in South Africa next May. We've been to Istanbul. We've flown on Concorde (twice). The point I'm trying to convey is this: could I possibly afford to do all of that on my own? Heck no!! Not in my lifetime. It is a wonderful benefit and I take full advantage of it. If you don't, you're missing out.

How much are you away from home?
I would say that I sleep in a hotel probably 12 to 13 nights per month. I work four days a week typically.

What does your spouse think?
Well I've been doing this for thirteen years now, so she's had time to get used to it. At first it was a shock for her. It was definitely something she had to adjust to. She's so used to it now, however, that if I'm home too much she gets a little edgy because she's used to her own quiet time a few days a week.

Would you do it again?
Absolutely. I can not imagine doing anything else with my life. I'm pretty happy overall. I made the right decision for myself. Personally, I do not feel like a failure because I have not attained my original goal of flying for a network carrier. It doesn't matter to me any more.

Do you feel appreciated at work? (or just a number)
Come on now! Please! ;) I work for a huge corporation. I feel like a number, yes, but I came to grips with that a long time ago. I worked for an even larger corporation before I came here and the atmosphere was no different. I don't need my management team to make me feel good about myself. They're my bosses. I show up and do my job and hopefully never see them. I like it that way.

Do you feel safe?
Yes. I always have. We have good maintenance and good pilots who do their jobs well.

Is it stressful?
Normally, no. At times, however, it can be for many reasons. However, I think a little stress is good for the soul sometimes. It spices things up a bit.

Let me add this: I started back in '91 as a Jetstream 31 first officer with about 2100 TT and 310 multi. I was happy as a clam to be there. In ground school I was told I'd upgrade in about 18 months. I figured I'd spend about 3 years at the regional level and then would probably be picked up by a major. Well, it didn't happen that way. The recession of the early 90's hit, AA started closing hubs and parking planes and I was introduced to the sentence "you've been displaced". Long story short, I spent time at every stateside base in our system and flew almost every plane we've had. I spent 7 years as a first officer, not 18 months as originally planned. Thank God for an understanding wife who also had a decent job because we would not have been able to make it otherwise during those trying times (a couple of times I thought about dropping out of the business but she would have no part of it because she knew that deep down inside flying was what really made me tick). Eventually things turned around and allowed me to upgrade. The pay came up to a decent level and eventually I worked my way up to the jet. Overall, even though the road was tough at times, I'd have to say that I've enjoyed this job immensely. I've derived great satisfaction from it and can not imagine what it would be like to go back to a 9 to 5 job. Yuck!!

If you were a CEO what would you do???

414Flyer said:
Your advice would also be illegal too. If the airlines got together to coordinate raising of prices, government would also come down on them pretty hard and rightfully so. Price fixing and monopolies are not compatible with free market and competion.
I am sure if GM/Ford/Chrysler all announced one day there were acting in unison and upping the price of autos together, by a fixed amount, there would be a big outcry, even on here.
While thinking if the airlines just raised prices together would solve problems, and while it may in the short term, it still would not be a long term solution and would only put off the problems they are facing.
While I certainly do not want to see the legacy carriers go away, I also would not support a price cartel to prop them up either.
That would be a very bad road to go down too. can you imagine what would happen after that? Every company out there having problems would demand the same thing.
414, please look at what you have said and then visit the local new car dealerships...."you make my point exactly"....in 1985 a new F-150 cost around $16,000 to buy new....loaded I might add, I bought one....I'm getting read to buy an new one and the same truck from the same plant is now $27,500.....

Look at all the new car types and its the same thing...they all have KEPT UP WITH INFLATION while competing on the open market......FURTHER WE ALL HAVE CONTINUIED TO BUY THEM BY THE BOAT LOADS!! Again you make my Original point very simple to see....all those assembly line workers are making darn good money......so should everyone in this industry!

I understand you cant set up an Monopoly, that by definition is illegal...but were not talking about one airline, I'm talking about EVERYONE, LEGACY, LCC, REGIONAL, no matter....

If you want to fly from A to B then it should cost a person about the same on anyone for the same level of service i.e. coach, biz or first class.....other services could be added as well for those that want more, or services removed for those that want less, but the base ticket from A to B costs this much..Period...just like that base model F-150....go to any ford dealer and you will pay about the same amount for that Base Model....

What’s the downside: will lets see, if legacy carriers continue to hemorrhage money to the point were they go out of business, don’t you think Uncle Sammy is going to step in and do something???

Of course Sammy already has, the ATSB was the first part of this action....So if the airlines WERE to form an Alliance, what would Uncle Sammy have to say in light of many bankruptcy proceedings to come? You have to operate at a loss, your shareholders are not entitled to make money, and the American people have a right to pay Wal-Mart fares???? NO, that argument would not hold water...but that is what is going on at the mainlines today....

Why are they letting this happen to them??? Competition from the LCC's....lets look at that one....the LCC's carried 28% of the total available seats last month...if the other legacy carriers or 72% were to stop flying next month...how would that 72% off travelers get to where they are going? the LCC's could not possibly handle it all, the public would be in total turmoil, the economy would go in the crapper. Uncle Sammy would have to step in... Like British Airways, or Amtrak, etc…

Would the LCC's like it, for the short term maybe, but if you stop and think about it...it would be a disaster...the LCC bean counters have projected the companies cost for many years in advance..they know that they WILL NOT BE AS COMPETITIVE in the FUTURE as they are now, their over-head will rise rapidly as the work force continues to gain seniority, the leased equipment will expire, or cost more...the deals for Airport terminal space will expire and get more expensive...etc...They will in effect become the Legacy carriers of the future WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS today’s carriers face.....the LCC's have to come up with a different plan for those days ahead, a plan that is much different than has ever been done before or they are in trouble as well...

IMHO, I believe all the CEO’s and BOD’s must form an alliance the industry has never seen before, one that keeps everyone in the black, and keeps prices in line with NORMAL inflation….every employee has the right to make a decent living, and have promises kept by their companies…it has to start with charging enough for the services you provide……

Boy if I were a CEO for a while….Hmmmmmm…what would I do??? the same old thing that has not worked....cut employee benefits? kill employee loyality and productivity??? Nope.....I would not.....maybe we would have less daily flights, maybe we would have to layoff, but we would have a business that was flying making a profit, not looking to stay out of BK Court....JMHO

Col. Bill Williamson USAF (ret)

Do you still love to fly? Yes.

Do you hate your job? No.

How much are you away from home? Not more than 20 hours...no RON's for me.

What does your spouse think? Who cares...as long as she's jiggling eggs in a frying pan in one hand and sweeping with a broom in the other.

Would you do it again? Yes.

Do you feel appreciated at work? Yes.

Do you feel safe? No...because then it gets fingerprints all over it. But I do open it up once in a while so I can play with the toys inside. Sometimes when I open the safe to play with the toys, I'll even put on a funny hat and spandex floral print shorts. It's kind of like Rambo with a package.

Is it stressful? No...but then again, it's all fun and games untill somebody loses a wiener.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it seems pretty divided. Gives me a little insight though.

Thanks

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back