Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

barnyard

F Caravans
I fly the same plane every day for a freight company. In my logbook, on the first line of every page, I write the A/c type, N number, and in the remarks, the company I work for. Then I draw a line in each column down to an entry to where that data changes. If it doesn't, the line goes to the last row on the page, and I start the next page with the A/c type and n-number etc.

Will this make me look lazy / sloppy in upcoming interviews? It seems kind of silly to write the same thing over and over again in a coulmn the whole way down the page. Its very clear (to me) what is going on in there...

Thanks for your comments!

Gawd, you'd have to bring up log books! I haven't seen mine for three years. What's the deal with them things anyway, didn't they used to perform a weight and balance function for getting a 172 into the catagory where you wouldn't have to do spins?

Hmmmm.....

When I was freight doggin', I would put down the date, a/c type and tail number on the first leg of each day. I would leave the date, a/c type and tail number blank on the subsequent legs for that day, but put in a new tail number and/or a/c type if I switched planes for some reason during that day. I didn't draw the lines down like you did. I logged my military time the same way.

I think this method is acceptable. I even had favorable comments on it at my airline interview, not necessarily that they liked what I had done or not, but they did say the log looked neat. Who's to say on whether your method will be looked down upon, but it's sort of a moot point, at least for what you have already logged. Based on my experience, I think if you at least put down one full-line entry per day from now on, you'll be OK. I'd leave the entries you've already done alone and just explain it later if asked.

barnyard said:
I fly the same plane every day for a freight company. In my logbook, on the first line of every page, I write the A/c type, N number, and in the remarks, the company I work for. Then I draw a line in each column down to an entry to where that data changes. If it doesn't, the line goes to the last row on the page, and I start the next page with the A/c type and n-number etc.

Will this make me look lazy / sloppy in upcoming interviews? It seems kind of silly to write the same thing over and over again in a coulmn the whole way down the page. Its very clear (to me) what is going on in there...

Thanks for your comments!

I would tend to think that your method is O.K. The main thing any employer is looking for (when it comes to logbooks) is accuracy (sp?) and neatness along with maybe ease of finding the information they need.

BTW as logbooks go, in my first 135 job interviews (there were 2 135 companies I worked for) the boss paged thru my logbook. Also at Allegheny back in 99 the Chief Pilot then paged thru during the interview and asked questions based on the info inside. The questions were like, "I see you I see you fly into Altoona, PA several times per week, whats the localizer feq there? Or, "it looks like you went into National (DCA) and JFK IFR on a regular basis, tell me about the reservation system?" Mainly questions to see if your not bullsh!ting the time/trip you put into your logbook.

The last three interviews I went on (one in March 2001, Airtran) and two recient ones, not one interviewer even asked to see any of my logbooks. I'm half way thru my 3rd large one and I have two small logbooks, so I lug 5 logbooks around and nobody even want to see them. go figure.

How do you "do" your logbook?

Drizzled with BBQ sauce, then slowly roasted in a Deep Pit all afternoon. The pages come out so tender you touch it with a fork and they shred. MMMMmmmmmm.... BBQ.....

Latest resources

Back