How do Pay scales work?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

meyers9163

Reading over the Netjet/Skywest thread recently post I was a little confussed about how exactly these scales work. I was under the impression one started at 1st year pay for a F/O and then went up as long as they were a F/O and then upon going over to the left seat and being a captain you then start over at 1st year Captain pay? Is this correct or wrong? Then 2nd question is per diem and how it exactly works? Was not sure exactly what the deal is on this or how it works after reading that thread. Just a couple questions I had about the industry I'm not too clear on I guess. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Very few companies start you over at year 1 captain pay. Usually it is a lateral - 5 year FO = 5 year Captain pay - deal.

In fact, I can't think of any companies offhand that do start you over at year 1 captain pay. But I do know that NetJets and Skywest do a lateral pay raise.

As for per diem... Anything that has an overnight out of base is tax exempt. Anything that has you home in your base the same night is taxable. That about sums it up.

More specifially on per diem, it starts from your check in for your trip until you duty off (usually 15 minutes after you block in) back in base. So if you are on a 4 day trip and away form base for a total of 80 hours and your per diem is $1.50 an hour then you would get $120 for that trip, tax free. Make sense?

Yes it does! Thanks once again! On the other one I was not sure about their figures but that makes sense! Thank you!

labbats said:
Very few companies start you over at year 1 captain pay. Usually it is a lateral - 5 year FO = 5 year Captain pay - deal.

In fact, I can't think of any companies offhand that do start you over at year 1 captain pay.

Only one I can think of is CommutAir. Whether you've been with the company 8 months or 3 years, when you upgrade, you're at the "first-year" captain payscale. It's very, very unusual.

When one of the owners had an informational meeting a couple of years ago, we asked about changing to longevity pay (like everybody else). He asked, "What's that?" We had to explain it to him.

"Who's doing it that way?"

Ummm... every other company but us.

"Well, If somebody came to me with that proposal, I'd throw him out of my office."

And he wonders why our pilots are bailing left and right... Think of all the training costs we could save, just by throwing a few bones to the employees to keep up with the spiraling cost of living. "First-year captain" here makes the same $30 he did in 1989, which I believe is around $21 in 1989 dollars. So we actually get a pay cut each year. It's a grand system. :angryfire

Thanks for letting me rant. :pimp:

There is a lot of money to make in per diem too. Every year I bring in around $4,000 alone. Usually around $300-500 per month. It's a nice little add-in to your paycheck every month.

meyers9163 said:
Reading over the Netjet/Skywest thread recently post I was a little confussed about how exactly these scales work. I was under the impression one started at 1st year pay for a F/O and then went up as long as they were a F/O and then upon going over to the right seat and being a captain you then start over at 1st year Captain pay? Is this correct or wrong? Then 2nd question is per diem and how it exactly works? Was not sure exactly what the deal is on this or how it works after reading that thread. Just a couple questions I had about the industry I'm not too clear on I guess. Thanks for the help!

And more importantly when you upgrade you go to the left seat. Just thought i would clear that up!

Latest resources

Back