Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WMUSIGPI

The $100,000,000 Question
I am currently a CFI at Western Michigan U. about 1550 total hours and 140 multi piston hours (verry little chance of getting any more multi time here) I want to fly for a large corporation like Ford, GM, Pharmacia, Kellogs ect. How do I get there from here? I have tried applying without even getting a reply. I can't even get a sorry reply from most little charter ops. Normally it's send out resumes and never even know if they arrived.

What do I do next?

WMUSIGPI said:
I am currently a CFI at Western Michigan U. about 1550 total hours and 140 multi piston hours (verry little chance of getting any more multi time here) I want to fly for a large corporation like Ford, GM, Pharmacia, Kellogs ect. How do I get there from here? I have tried applying without even getting a reply. I can't even get a sorry reply from most little charter ops. Normally it's send out resumes and never even know if they arrived.

What do I do next?

Hit all Charter Operators you can.. target ones that have Turbo-Props and Jets... work there a few years and you will be MUCH more marketable for a Fortune 100 job...

Honestly most of the large companies won't look at someone with less than 4,000 hours and a type rating or two...

It is a long road, but the payoff in the end is pretty good...

Though it's not the easiest thing in the world for some people (myself included) the answer seems to be networking. Get to know people.
As someone getting ready to start a CFI job after not flying for over a year, I too hope to get into a good corporate operation eventually, but it doesnt seem an easy track.
In your position I would imagine that visiting local charter/corporate operations is your best bet. I'm sure every charter operation in the country gets a dozen resumes a day right now. When the time comes that they do need someone most are going to call the person they know, not a stranger whose resume was "filed" two months ago.
I recently called the CP at a good local 135 operator to ask if I could fax a resume. He told me he had no openings, but I was welcome to come by and drop off a resume. I ended up in his office for about 30 minutes, basically doing an interview. He aplogised for the lack of openings, but told me to drop by anytime to visit. Now I am in a decent position with this company when they do need someone (which they inevitably will).
As for getting to a top-tier corporate operator, dont bet on it right away. There are people on here with a lot more insight into the corporate world than I, but it seems that you need to spend some time with a 135 operator or smaller corporate department getting time in type (and if possible a type rating) before the Fortune 100 types will touch you.
I did have an interview last year with Wal Mart, and was very impressed with the operation, but was not hired. I think the 4 they hired out of the 28 interviewed all had a decent amount of Lear time (they mainly operate Lear 31/35s).
Good luck in the search!

Re: How do I go from CFI to Corporate pi

Flywrite I agree with you. I've got a little over 700 TT and 30 hrs MEL, but I was asked to copilot for a profitable business in Springfield, IL. Seeings how (local dialect added) I was able to expand my connections with people and have shown myself as a comfortable and competent person to fly with, I was asked to do this job as opposed to anyone else. I think this is mainly because of the fact that there is a short timeframe to find someone, and because the chief pilot has flown with me, likes me, and sees me as being someone who's available and competent in flying a twin. Yes yes, I know. I'm only a CFII but given the current status of the economy I'd say I'm doing alright for my current level of experience and time.

It really IS who you know. Instructing at a Part 61-with-a-141-program school has really helped me tap into the Part 91 ops here at KSPI.

Good luck and keep networking. That's been the key for me. Just networking for me has gotten the job mentioned above, some King Air time, and some Citation time. One other thing to think about is how willing are you to move? So, who do you know??

Hope this offers some insight to you and everyone else still looking.
-AIRnik

WMUSIGPI,

You've seen some good advice so far.

If you want to work for the big corp's, go knock on their door and drop off a resume today. Don't expect to get an interview or even the time of day from them, but show your face and express an interest in their operation. Sometimes it takes 4 to 5 years to get a shot at your dream job.

Believe it or not, there are some CP's out there who believe in cultivating and mentoring young talent. They see the value in getting young pilots such as yourself interested and excited about a career in business aviation. Granted, for every CP like this, you'll also find 10 a#%holes so don't get discouraged easily. Also keep in mind that CP's for major corporations are some of the busiest people you'll ever meet. Be persistant but don't be a pest.

Good luck.

As a pilot at a Fortune 50 flight department with 65 pilots, the way in is face to face networking. We rearly look at resumes that are mailed to us.

It is also wrong to think that a large company flight department will not hire a Jr. pilot. Personality and the ability to interact with the CEO of a Fortune 50 Corporatin is our number one priority. Our training facility (FSI and Simuflite) will teach the SOP's and airplane specifics. We have found that a very small percentage of Jr. pilots are not able to get through training. In fact, we have been very impressed with the quality of our young pilots.

Our most Jr. GIV-SP Captain came to us with no jet time. I think he was about 24 years old with all of his quality time in Cessna 421's. He started with us in our Learjet.

This "kid", who I dont even think shaves, made a great impression on the flight crews and the company managment. Without being asked, he was in the office when not flying helping with any administrative project.

Without being asked, he took it upon himself to develop a standardize aircraft stocking diagram to promote standardication of our cabins. This has now been adopted as a Company SOP.

If you are creative, good personality, ambitous, and bright, working your way to your goal is very doable, and should be lots of fun.

Good Luck

Network, Network, Network! I was working at a small Flt. school when a company moved their 65 Sabre into our hanger. I got to know everyone in the dept, and made sure they knew who I was. When time came, they sent me to FSI for recurrent. (insurance req). I flew PT for about 1.5 yrs. When a FT position came open, I was lucky enough to be hired. I had about 1700tt w/ 100multi. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back