• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do I get started on AF res/Guard?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is a low insult to be throwing at people who protect our freedom. Who are any of us to question why they are there? Everyone joins for their own reasons, but I guarantee that "serving [this] country" is somewhere on just about everybody's list.

Skyward80

Spare me, please. I thank God that I've taken the opportunity to serve in this nation's military so that in times of trouble I have the opportunity to "do something about it." The point in my earlier post is that if you're not in it to serve your country please don't try. That type of personality is usually not very successful because the main thread that runs throughout all branches of and duties in the military is teamwork. Without it you're nothing. That's just my informed military opinion.

As far as disrespecting servicemen by my comments, that wasn't my point at all, nor would I do that. I'd just be curious to see how many people would've signed up in the military if the AF/USN/etc just flew pistons and turboprops. That's all. There's nothing wrong with a person saying they want to fly an F-16/15/18/etc, and as we all know, the U.S. military is the only place to do that.

That is a low insult to be throwing at people who protect our freedom. Who are any of us to question why they are there? Everyone joins for their own reasons, but I guarantee that "serving [this] country" is somewhere on just about everybody's list.

skyward80 said:
Everyone joins for their own reasons, but I guarantee that "serving [this] country" is somewhere on just about everybody's list.

negative...ive been active duty for 5 years and guard for another 3, i can attest to the contrary. there are (unfortunately) more people than you think that join for one of the following;

1) it sounds cool
2) the free college
3) and when it comes to flying, being able to fly better stuff than they ever would in the civilian world.

you can really tell who these people are when it comes down to crunch time. im not saying they're in the majority, but they are definately out there :(

Skysprayer,
I see where you are coming from. Personally, I got into the Air National Guard because I wanted to fly a fighter jet. Does that make me a bad person because serving my country was not at the top of the list? I don't think so.

yes, but the idea of flying a fighter jet does in no way exclude the fact that you may indeed get shot at....something about the word "fighter" at the front of the word "jet" ;)

itd be like a guy wanting to drive a tank...theres no other way to do it but join the military, and put yourself in the position of possibly being in harms way :)

i guess what im saying...is there any other way to fly a fighter jet, and not serve your country? :D

To Hoss: I wasn't saying you are a 'bad person', actually quite the contrary. I think your post just highlighted the point I was trying to make.
Everyone else: Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Latest resources

Back