Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do I get my start in the Corporate World?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

champilot38

I realize that it is all about who you know but what if you dont know anyone in the industry. I have heard of really low time guys getting hired for the right seat of different outfits. I think the corporate side sounds better to me than the airlines but much harder to get in on. Any suggestions???

I realize that it is all about who you know but what if you dont know anyone in the industry. I have heard of really low time guys getting hired for the right seat of different outfits. I think the corporate side sounds better to me than the airlines but much harder to get in on. Any suggestions???

Who you know does play a part but that's not all. How much time do you have and what is the quality of that time ? In my very humble opinion, 1500 hrs in a cessna 152 is not worth nearly as much as 200 hrs in a multi engine aircraft. But there is nothing wrong with the 152 if you are instructing. I know guys that are building multi time rapidly flying check runs. Also you need to realise that a lot of these low time guys getting right seat jobs are nothing more than a warm body in the right seat, barely making enough money to live on and ends up being a servant to the " Chief " in the left seat.

if you wanted creative ideas: if I were you i would get professional pilot and send letters to all the flight departments that write in. maintain active follow up and travel to all local fbos in a 100 mile raius, write down N numbers. do a search for the owner and again, send resume out. keep an active list, call these, talk to whomever and maybe go to NBAA evey year to meet the players in the industry.

Fly with anybody that asks you to, dont bit$h, live off credit cards for a while and eventually something will break.

send letters to all the flight departments
This in my opinion is a waste of time, as a Flight dept. Manager / Chief Pilot, you receive too much mail, I would suggest after doing some research on potential companies, to simply go to the airports and talk to people in FBO's etc., this will give you some realistic targets, you don't want to work for a bunch of a$$holes that nobody likes do you?

I hired a CFI that used to just come over to visit me while I washed the airplane, he was motivated to learn the airplane and did a great job (BE20), we brought him to FSI where he was allowed to "monitor" my recurrent training, they were nice enough to give him his own set of books. So don't be afraid to approach the flight departments in person, letters are just filed in the trash. Good luck.

quote: by sayagainover, this in my opinion is a waste of time ( i.e. letter writing)

actually, developing a list of information which is what we live and die by in sales, is the best way to manage to have a glimpse into the possibilites of who's out there, who to cross off the list.

there is perhaps a more comprehensive way and time saver, (to echo your waste of time) and that would be to get JetNets software of airplanes and owners, it has a monthly subscription. I've used it for a company that wanted to market aftermarket products for conquests. it has every owner, phone #, chief pilot, address etc for every aircraft type. it does costs money. they're on the web.

I got my start in College by finding a current list of flight departments at the airport, put on my best $100 suit and approach the ones I wanted to work for after recieving my degree and ratings. I started a intern with one of them during my summer months and after graduation and 280hrsTT, I was hired into thier ultra. Start by finding who you want to work, it never hurts to get yourself an introduction and maintain contact with them. Be persistent!!!

Latest resources

Back