• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

"How Can You Tell When A CEO Is Lying?" article

Words To Watch Out For: 'We' And 'Our Team'

Larcker and Zakolyukina pored through the transcripts of thousands of corporate earnings calls when CEOs and chief financial officers take questions from analysts.

And then they studied the words of executives at companies that later had to restate earnings, which often happens after fraud has occurred. The researchers identified some key indicators of deception.

Zakolyukina says lying executives tend to overuse words like "we" and "our team" when they talk about their company. They avoid saying "I."

She says there's a reason for that: "If I'm saying 'I' or 'me' or 'mine,' I'm showing my ownership of the statement, so psychologically I'm showing I'm responsible for what I'm saying."

Emphasizing The Positive

Lying CEOs also tend to use a lot of words that express positive emotion — things are "fabulous" and "fantastic" and "extraordinary."

Here's what Enron CEO Kenneth Lay said when he addressed his employees at a time when the company was about to implode: "I think our core businesses are extremely strong. We have a very strong competitive advantage. Of course, we are transferring this very successful business model and approach to a lot of new, very large markets globally."

Words like that can be a form of overcompensation.

"If all my speech is 'fantastic,' 'superb,' 'outstanding,' 'excellent' and all my speech sounds like a big hype — it probably is," Larcker says.

A Speech Detector That Issues Red Flags

Larcker and Zakolyukina have put their data into a computer model — one that can issue red flags when signs of deception occur. And they've already heard from a lot of people in the markets wanting to use it.

Larcker says he received at least one critical comment that basically said: "Thanks a lot for telling the CEOs and CFOs how to lie."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130544236

Last edited:
How about that. Sounds like it works.

"This is a true merger of equals, bringing together two strong companies and positioning us to succeed in a dynamic and highly competitive global aviation industry. This sets us on a path to create the world's leading airline from a position of strength, with one of the the industry's best cash positions, industry-leading revenues and a competitive cost structure," Tilton said. "Drawing from both companies, we have an excellent board of directors and a strong management team, and we have the industry's best people to deliver on the promise of great products and service for our customers, career opportunities for our people and consistent returns for our shareholders."

"We are delighted to announce the successful completion of this merger. With great people, an unparalleled global network, the best new aircraft order book among U.S. network carriers and a commitment to superior products and services, United is well positioned for a bright future," Smisek said. "I look forward to working together with my co-workers around the globe as we begin our journey to create the world's leading airline that delivers best-in-class customer service, increased opportunities for employees, meaningful profitability and sustainable long-term value for our shareholders."

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=PRNEWS

Last edited:
"This is a true merger of equals, bringing together two strong companies and positioning us to succeed in a dynamic and highly competitive global aviation industry. This sets us on a path to create the world's leading airline from a position of strength, with one of the the industry's best cash positions, industry-leading revenues and a competitive cost structure," Tilton said. "Drawing from both companies, we have an excellent board of directors and a strong management team, and we have the industry's best people to deliver on the promise of great products and service for our customers, career opportunities for our people and consistent returns for our shareholders."

"We are delighted to announce the successful completion of this merger. With great people, an unparalleled global network, the best new aircraft order book among U.S. network carriers and a commitment to superior products and services, United is well positioned for a bright future," Smisek said. "I look forward to working together with my co-workers around the globe as we begin our journey to create the world's leading airline that delivers best-in-class customer service, increased opportunities for employees, meaningful profitability and sustainable long-term value for our shareholders."

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=PRNEWS

Not saying Tilton isn't completely full of poo but how on gods green earth can they convey information without adjectives?

Just observe Bryan Bedford's face, language, actions and behavior.

That is when you know.

CYA

There is a big difference between what an individual says on an analyst call and what is written down in a Press Release. Obviously no CEO writes Press Releases. The study was focused on what was said by CEO's durng calls (i.e. saying things in their own words). The whole point of a press release related to a merger is to cheer the deal.

Interesting, statement from Herb when asked about SWA years ago:

Well I think that to a great extent I have and it's been very fulfilling in that respect because I think that we've created an environment where our people could be themselves, where they could act naturally, where they felt comfortable, where they experience less stress and more dedication to the organization as a consequence. And so I think that we've pretty much lived the values that we have espoused at Southwest Airlines and I hope that we always will.
on the other hand, Gary Kelly:

We believe Southwest's bid represents the best possible longterm scenario for Frontier, its Employees, and the Denver traveling public. If our bid is successful, we will return to growth mode.

On Airtran integration:

It is not up to us for how that works

. "We know there are differences between the contracts. What we don’t know yet is how the seniority will work."

Latest resources

Back