How can you beat corporate flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Falcon Capt said:

In Corporate if your gig dries up, you can possibly walk into a Captain position making the same or more than you were making... I have seen this happen to several people.

Counting on this is like counting on the lottery... yes, it has happened, but it is very unlikely. If you quit your job or are fired, you better be prepared to vacate your area code. Most medium size markets and smaller have a very inbred mix of Board of Directors at most all of their companies. Do a search on Meg Whittman and look at the number of BODs she is on. Imagine now applying for a job at one of those companies if she just sat through a dinner party listening to one of her buddy’s b---- about you screwing him out of a type rating. You are way better off sticking with a charter job until you are very sure you landed your dream job. If it turns out to be less, you are way better off having not taken it in the first place. Name a place guys have walked into another Captain's job with equal or better QOL and I'll show you at least two where the opposite has happened.

I think that most corporate pilots have a more personal relationship with the principals and therefore have a more secure job, as long as the company/individual stays around.
Kingairrick, please don't take what I am about to say personal. I am trying my very best to remain diplomatic, but you really need to hear this message.

If you are the best professional football player for a season (theoretically at least) you are rewarded with the Lombardi trophy and a Super Bowl Ring. If you are one of the world's best musicians (again, totally theoretical) you are rewarded with tons of gold and platinum records to adorn your walls. Do you know what the reward for being a world-class negotiator in the business world gets you? That's right, the use of a personal aircraft. People that use personal aircraft may be from any industry (or well-heeled blood line), any background, or other factor you care to throw in here. The one thing the principle you are toting around probably is not-- is a crummy negotiator. The skill to negotiate seems to be the only truly common ground I’ve noticed in the people I’ve flown around.

Ask any good negotiator what their number one rule is. 90% of the time they'll tell you not to get emotionally attached. It's my personal opinion that the second seems to be the art making your adversary gain your trust. Ever seen a car you absolutely fell in love with, and couldn't live without? Did you tell the person that you were negotiating with about how badly you wanted it? If you did, I'll bet you could have gotten it much less had you maintained your emotional distance, and not showed 'your cards'. In corporate aviation, you are part of "the deal". You think they have to have you to fly that airplane. They think you are the option of least hassle to keep that expensive little toy flying. I know way too many guys on this side of the coin, to think otherwise.

If your particular owner is genuinely different, then I congratulate you. Just realize, 90% of the time (or more), you're nothing more than a necessary evil to 'close a deal'.

I'll apologize in advance if any of this offends you... but I stand by 100% of it as the truth from my observations in this end of the industry. Not one is happier than I that a few of the regular posters on the corporate board seem to have never hit truly tough times in this end of the industry (or else choose not to remember them). I can tell you from personal experience, however, the euphoria of getting your “dream” corporate gig pales in comparison to the knots in your stomach when you realize you’ve been taken.

Flame away if you must, but I will not sit idly by while people are led to believe things can't go the heck quickly. They can, and you are replaceable.

Respectfully,

JayDub

Point taken and agreed with....
However, I probably wasn't very clear in what I was saying.

Most of the people I consider to be "successful" corporate pilots started out many years ago with their owners in cherokee 6s and Navajos, and are now flying Falcon 900's, Globals, and Gulfstreams (real examples from my FBO.) When I got this job I didn't think of it as being my dream job, but I have come to realize how lucky I am. My pricipals are great people who have been really lucky to get where they are. They have assured me that I will always have a job as long as I want it. They best example I can think of is that if a company folds, the CEO usually lands somewhere else, and will probably have another aircraft.

Of course, I know many people who have been royally screwed by owners who have the "pilots are a necessary evil" attitude. I could be wrong in thinking that most owners value loyalty and will return it in kind. I know that mine do, but I might just be luckier than I know.

One thing is sure. The airlines have nothing to do with loyalty or commitment. You can be the biggest company man and have widgets tatooed on your a$$, but you will still be furloughed when your number comes up.

Like someone above said. different paths... the only way to know for sure is to look back when it's over.
Happy Flyin'

Kingairrick,

I am thrilled you seem to be well taken care of. My post was an attempt to add a little balance. I want to make sure people know things in corporate aviation are not always "sunny days". Best of luck to you, and continued success!

Respectfully,

JayDub

Since their seems to be a mix of heavy iron and corporate drivers on this thread, what would be some of your opinions about my situation-Currently in a hiring pool with a respected and appearingly stable regional. I have been waiting almost seven months, which is frustrating. I also have an offer to fly for an air ambulance company, with a Citation type included. The medevac job offers a great schedule, home alot, decent starting pay and a job helping folks out. The flying however is only10-20 hours per month. It seems like it would also be alot harder to get back into commercial flying if the job turned out not as expected, as opposed to the other way around. On the other hand, it could start a career down an entirely different path-more of a corporate career. Any opinions?? Hope I did not hi-jack this thread!!

A CE-500 series type rating sure opens up lots of opportunities....

I've been told that with that, and the LR-JET rating, you are employable in any metropolitan area.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back