Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

utahpilot

Seeing the light
If they were assigned in order of release, then why is the 717 a new aircraft, or is it? what about airbus, why 320, 340, etc?

is boeing developing a 787, 797?

why do all of my non-pilots friends throw out 727 when they want to refer to a 'great big jet?'

anyway, was just curious

717 is a recycled designator. The 707 was developed into another model known as the 720, and somewhere in there "717" was to be used and wasn't for some reason...I read and have forgotten.

There's a pretty recent book out on the 707 that probably addresses it, but the 720's were referred to as the "real 717's".

For those of you who won't read the book and still want to sound cool by reciting useless trivia - the prototype of the 707 was known as the "dash 80" because Boeing used the designator of the Boeing 367 (4 engine prop liner otherwise known as the Stratocruiser) rather than come up with a new model number. This was done so that rival Douglas wouldn't think that Boeing was developing a radically new aircraft, rather they would hear of the 367-80 being developed and think is was merely a variant of the Stratocruiser.

The Boeing 717 is actually the MD95, which was the DC9 series aircraft (DC9, MD80's, MD90, MD95)
By assigning the 717, Boeing made sure that the aircraft stood out.

"717" was, is, and always will be the Boeing designation for the C-135/KC-135 aircraft. Anything else is corporate bullsh_t.

Boeing needed a different designation because the civilian 707 and military C-135 are really different airframes. To call the C-135 a "military 707" is not really correct. The C-137 is a military 707.

That T-tailed twinjet that AirTran flies is an MD-95...regardless of what name Boeing's marketing people want to stick on it.

I attended MD-11 school in Long Beach in early 2001. I was all excited about visiting that cradle of so many famous aircraft.

I went to the employee gift shop at the plant to get a t-shirt and some patches. To my disgust, there had been a "cultural revolution" - EVERYTHING with the old MacDac logo had been thrown out. Everything was Boeing.

They even had "Boeing DC-8" patches for sale. Sickening.

B717

Typhoon is correct. My instructor was an engineer at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City and participated in the AWACS program. He told me that AF B707 variants had the B717 designator. It threw me off for a while seeing that in some many profiles and not realizing it was reassigned to a Douglas.

Boeing DC-8, just another attempt by Boing to take credit for another fine Douglas product.

I have literature from Boing on the DC-3 on revised manuals.

At the top of the page in big letters, Boeing DC-3.

LR25 said:
I have literature from Boing on the DC-3 on revised manuals. At the top of the page in big letters, Boeing DC-3.
Please, please tell me you're kidding! I suggested the name "Boeing DC-3" some time ago as a joke. Not in a million years would I have guessed that Boeing would defile that legendary name too!

Don't get me wrong, I like Boeing. I think they make a fine product...but where is this revisionism going to end? I had enough trouble getting used to the idea of a "Boeing F-4 Phantom II." I can't say I care for Bombardier Learjet either...or Raytheon Bonanza. I guess we're lucky they didn't start calling the MD-11 the Boeing 787. What's next, the Lockheed Martin 4-0-4?

The original 707 was known as the 367-80. The public knew it as the 707, Boeing called it the "dash 80". See 707 or 367

There is a specific reason behind the number 7 in the Boeing history and I can't for the life of me remember why. There is a video on the history of Boeing that plays from time to time on Discovery & History channels, as well as Discovery Wings. I can't recall the exact quote regarding "7's", but they've been there for some time. For example: B29 (9-2=7); B52 (5+2=7). Seriously, I'm not making this up!

I'll continue my search (I've been on the net for over an hour looking so far). Stay tuned! ;)

Regards,
2000Flyer

For your amusement, some Boeing model numbers:

1 = two-seat single-engine floatplane designed by Bill Boeing and Conrad Westervelt

247 = the first "modern" airliner

299 = B-17 Flying Fortress

345 = B-29 Superfortress

367 = C-97 and KC-97 Stratofreighter

377 = Stratocruiser

450 = B-47 Stratojet

464 = B-52 Stratofortress

707 = first U.S. jet airliner; military variants include the C-18, C-137, E-3 Sentry, E-8 JSTARS, and E-8 Mercury.

717 = C-135 and KC-135 Stratotanker

739 = various highly-modified RC-135 ELINT aircraft

107 = CH-46 Sea Knight (Boeing Vertol)

114 = CH-47 Chinook (Boeing Vertol)

(Eden and Moeng. World Aircraft. New York: Aerospace Publishing Lts., 2002)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back