Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: 707

merikeyegro said:
"707" came from the fact that the airplane's wings had 45-degree sweep. For those versed in trigonometry, this angle has a cosine and sine both of 0.707. Guess it had a ring to it. Hence, the name...

You learn something new every day...

I don't tink so, Lucy.........A 45 degree angle may have a sine and cosine value of .707, but a Boeing 707 wing had a sweepback of 35 degrees at quarter chord.

Boeing is starting to add letters to its civil designations now. The working name for Boeing's new airliner being planned is the 7E7. The "E" stands for Efficiency. For the time being, the Sonic Cruiser and 747-500 concepts are back on the shelf, since the airlines want nothing but efficiency and profitablity now.

Why Boeings have 7 - 7 numbers

"Although it is a good story - the name 707 was not derived from the wing sweep - which is actually 35 degrees." - Michael Lombari, Boeing Historian, [email protected]

I wrote to Boeing to confirm this story that I had heard a few years back from someone at the Boeing company:

The number "7" was chosen for the numbering of their aircraft because of it's "lucky" connotation. The "7 - 7" series was the result of the marketing department. Someone in Boeing marketing liked sound of the illiteration of "seven-o-seven" as a designator, so hence the start of that string of numbers.

Write Mr Lombardi with any other odd Beoing trivia you want to know about.

:D

Airbus is simple: A300, 310, 320, 330/340, time sequence, don't know what happened to the 350, 360 370, but now we'll have a 380, maybe the 350- 370 are reserved for future single deck designs

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back