How are things in Cincinnati

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ridgewoodpilot

Just curious on whether anyone here knows about how a flight school would do in the Cincinnati/Southern Dayton area. I've been tossing around the idea and I figured why not ask. I'm currently in the NY area and would probably do well here although wifee seems to think that the QOL would be better in Cincy.....maybe. Anyway, if anyone has any input on what a good move would be in that vicinity its always greatly appreciated. I'm looking to start flight training as well as tailwheel training. I thought about the southern areas although I think that Sporty's and U.C. would have that area well covered. Thanks in advance.

Flight School?

I live in Lebanon, just up the road from Cincinnati. While I would love to encourage you to start a flight school, my heart it not in it.

I have flight instructed at Lunken, and can tell you it is a tough gig. The weather will NOT help you. Thunderstorms in summer. HARD icing conditions from the Great Lakes ALL winter. Gloomy over-cast all winter. There is just a reason all the flight schools are in Florida, or Arizona. NO natural draw to the area means no good source of tourists, and even fewer people who would want to learn to fly.

If you still want to do. Hell, go for it! Just be ready with plan C, because A and B might not cut it!

Best of luck!

AWACS

Well said. It pretty much confirms my thoughts on the area, which BTW is nice to be living in, being hard to keep up business. I'll have to pass the bad news over to wifee now.

I can confirm there is not a whole lot of general aviation in Cincy. Even with Comair (now just a shell of itself) most of those guys went to the Academy in the late 90's early 2000's... But as far as flight schools, not much going on there. So starting one may be even tougher. Some of the surrounding areas have the smaller airports, not sure what you could do up there?

Gotta agree Cincy is a pretty good place, especially if you have kids. Alot of family activities going on with the Aquarium, Zoo++, sports etc.

Latest resources

Back