• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Focus

Updated: 01:47 PM EST
Drinking Water Quality On Airlines Worsens -EPA

(Adds airline industry comment.)

WASHINGTON (AP)--Drinking water aboard the nation's airliners is getting worse, not better, despite government-ordered sanitation improvements, the Environmental Protection Agency said Wednesday.

About one in six airliners in the latest round of tests conducted in November and December had drinking water that failed to meet federal safety standards, EPA said. Similar tests in August and September showed the water in one in eight aircraft testing positive for coliform bacteria.

The latest round of testing produced positive results for presence of the bacteria in 29 of 169 randomly selected passenger aircraft carrying domestic and international passengers. The tests were done on water from galley water taps and lavatory faucets on planes at 14 airports throughout the U.S.

The coliform bacteria - usually harmless itself but an indicator of the possible presence of other harmful organisms - was found in the planes ranging from small commuter aircraft to jumbo jets. None had E. coli bacteria, which can cause gastrointestinal illness.

"It's an issue that's of concern," said Thomas V. Skinner, acting assistant administrator for EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. "It's not an indication that anyone needs to panic."

Despite the increased rate of aircraft testing positive over a previous round of testing, Skinner said he "would still maintain that the vast majority of planes do not come up positive."

He said the government doesn't plan a third round of tests.

The Air Transport Association, representing the major airlines, said in a statement that "airline drinking water is as safe as the municipal water sources that supply it" and that the group was reassured by the fact there were no positive results for E. coli or other harmful pathogens.

"We believe the most significant finding by the EPA is that there were no positive tests for any harmful bacteria," said Nancy Young, a lawyer who is ATA's managing director of environmental programs, whose group also criticized the EPA's methods of testing.

"Once again, the EPA chose to include samples from aircraft lavatories, which are essentially public restrooms, where there's a high potential for cross- contamination of samples," she said. "We're also concerned that many of the samples came from international carriers that the agency does not regulate."

EPA's tests last August and September found coliform bacteria on 20 of the 158 randomly selected aircraft. Two planes then also tested positive for E. coli bacteria, which can produce diarrhea and nausea. About 73,000 cases of E. coli infection are reported in the U.S. each year.

EPA advised passengers with compromised immune systems or others concerned to ask for canned or bottled beverages and refrain from drinking tea or coffee unless made with bottled water.

Combining the two rounds of testing on 327 aircraft last year, EPA officials noted that about 15% of the planes had been found with coliform bacteria.

EPA and 12 major airlines agreed in November on a program aimed at improving sanitation. It included more testing of aircraft. Airliners would be disinfected within 24 hours if coliform bacteria were discovered, unless the agency granted an extension because the plane was outside the U.S. Passengers would find signs posted in lavatories and galleys.

Signing agreements with EPA were Alaska Airlines (ALK), Aloha Airlines ( ALO.XX), American Airlines (AMR), America West (AWA), ATA Airlines, Continental Airlines (CAL), Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue (JBLU), Midwest Airlines (MEH), Northwest Airlines (NWAC), United Airlines (UALAQ) and U.S. Airways (UAIRQ).

Two additional airlines, Delta Airlines (DAL) and Southwest Airlines (LUV), are currently negotiating separate agreements with EPA.

On the Net:

EPA: http://www.epa.gov/airlinewater

ATA: http://www.airlines.org

Dow Jones Newswires 01-19-051324ET

Copyright (C) 2005 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

2005-01-19 13:24 -05

Copyright (C) 2005 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

speed.jpg

The only water I drink onboard an airline flight is from the bottled water carried on the drink cart or some water that I've brought myself. I can't imagine drinking any water from the lav(!) or even the galley taps. This almost seems like much ado about nothing.

You don't sip water from the lav sink? That stuff has the most flavor. And, next time bring a cup into the lav and sample some of the blue stuff----it tastes minty fresh and the after taste is wonderful---it lasts for hours. Also, the blue stuff eats away at plaque around your teeth......

Bye Bye--General Lee

The airlines figured they could save nearly $1,000 a year if they used rainwater collected from the terminal roof and puddles on the ramp instead of tap water. ;) TC

TWA used to serve great coffee, but I preferred the TWA Tea.

Better living thru chemistry

Focus said:
EPA advised passengers with compromised immune systems or others concerned to ask for canned or bottled beverages and refrain from drinking tea or coffee unless made with bottled water.

And here's a good reason to spike your coffee with a little bottle of Crown. It improves the flavor *and* it's good for you!

Cheers.

What a sorry article. They hand out bottled and the reporter complains about the tap. Sheesh. I suppose if he knew an airline could walk on water, he'd complain cause it couldn't swim.

Lav water

TheTIC said:
TWA used to serve great coffee, but I preferred the TWA Tea.

Yes, I too miss the TWA tea. I had such great flavor and aroma... you just couldn't get enough.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCYa

Latest resources

Back