Houston Iah Taxiway Lettering Wtfo?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inthegoo

Who in the hell's stupid idea was that, double letters that is, I mean someone there I think thinks their airport is just a little bigger than it really is?!?!

A-Z would do just fine,

I hate IAH because of this, it is moronic!

I would really like to hear everyones thoughts on this,

It sounds so rediculous on the radio!

And the controllers suck there too!

-Goo

I think their reasoning is that all the taxiways on the north side of the field begin with N, west side W, etc. I do think a single letter system would be better, but alas thats the way it is. Relax, go with it, dont fight it

inthegoo said:
Who in the hell's stupid idea was that, double letters that is, I mean someone there I think thinks their airport is just a little bigger than it really is?!?!

A-Z would do just fine,

I hate IAH because of this, it is moronic!

I would really like to hear everyones thoughts on this,

It sounds so rediculous on the radio!

And the controllers suck there too!

-Goo

Who cares?

It is stupid...

O'Hare seems to get by just fine with single letters yet somehow for IAH someone thought it just wouldn't work. :rolleyes:

Superpilot92 said:
Its not that hard, come one. I think its pretty easy.

Thats because you're a SUPERPILOT!!!! Sorry couldnt resist, no harm intended, :D The taxiway thing isnt that bad once you understand the reasoning.

DHPFLYN said:
What is the big deal? Don't they teach you how to read taxiway signs at MESA??

Now that's funny!

The IAH taxiway layout makes a lot of sense if you look at the chart closely. The airport is divided into quadrants. Taxiways beginning with the letter "S" are on the South side, taxiways beginning with "N" are on the North side, "E" means East side, "W" means West side, "F" means far from North, and "R" means ramp. To me, the taxiway identifiers couldn't have been designated better.

When you land on 26R and get instructions to exit on FD, ground will tell you to simply to go on Fox Alpha, Fox Hotel, Echo Echo, Echo Alpha, November Bravo, hold short of Sierra Fox and contact the South ground frequency. The locals call it the "cargo route." If the ILS critiacal areas are not being protected, a shortcut is available via FA, FH, NP, short of 26L when you're going to the South side of the airport. All you have left to do is contact the other ground control frequency and they'll clear you to taxi across the East bridge and contact ramp short of Sierra Charlie. East Ramp will tell you which taxiways to take, either Romeo Bravo or Romeo Alpha and which bridge to transition to and the appropriate frequency to monitor when you near the West ramp. It's that easy!!

IAH seems to be one of the most efficiently laid out airports out there. Once you get used to it, you'll see. It only takes six different frequencies to get form the gate to the runway: West ramp, East Ramp, Clearance, South ground, 26L Tower, then 26R tower. The controllers are very laid back and will only make fun of you when you goof. They're not perfect either; that's why no one cares when a little confusion exists on your route to the gate or a last minute runway change.

Last edited:
Prop Trash said:
It only takes six different frequencies to get form the gate to the runway: West ramp, East Ramp, Clearance, South ground, 26L Tower, then 26R tower.

Umm, it only takes three frequencies to get to the runway at O'Hare or Hartsfield.

Latest resources

Back