Houston Citabria rental

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jbDC9

Anyone in/near Houston wanna rent a 1974 150hp 7GCAA Citabria?

It's based at Weiser Airpark (KEYQ) in Cypress, TX, just NW of Houston, operated by Windsock Aviation. Check out www.flywindsock.com. It's not a showpiece plane, but it's in very nice condition, runs and flies great! 80 bucks/hour wet.

I don't work for the FBO, just another renter pilot... but the airplane needs to be flown more or it might be sold. Scary thought, since then I'd be stuck flying Warriors or 172s, woof! After having so much fun flying an old ragwing taildragger the thought of driving around in a 172 seems pretty boring. I really don't understand why more renters don't get checked out in it... if they did they'd never go back to a spamcan.

John

John,
I actually stoped by there to ask about it, and they couldn't provide me any info. Do you know the insurance requirements to rnt it? Do you also know about any other taildrager rentals in the Houston area?

Steve

Here's the insurance requirements for the Citabria taken from the Windsock website;

Renter must at least have a valid FAA Private Pilot Certificate with an airplane single-engine land rating and a minimum of 125 total logged hours including not less than 25 hours in tailwheel aircraft and 10 hours in the same make & model aircraft.

Call 'em at 832-237-5670, ask for Tom, he's the tailwheel CFI, or Gary, the owner, they'll tell ya what you need to know. Also, I believe they do allow some freelance instruction, I saw a CFI there yesterday getting checked out and asking about bringing in his own students... double check with Gary on that.

Other taildraggers to rent in Houston are at La Porte (T41), east side of town. Harvey & Rihn Aviation, (281) 471-1675. They have a Citabria or two, plus a Pitts.

Also try Houston-Southwest (KAXH). Texas Taildraggers, (281)431-9585, http://www.flash.net/~tdragger/ Looks like a Citabria and Decathlon on the line there. On these last two operators I don't know any other details... best to call them.

John

Thanks for the info

Latest resources

Back