Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingSig

Double Breasted _ _ _
Anyone out there ever rent in the Houston area? Haven't flown in a few months, and have an itch to go scare some poor instructor for a few hours then go scare myself for a few more.....

Schools/FBO's/etc...?? Thanks....

S I G-
Fletcher (HOU) has (?) or did have a very nice V-35 Banana (N91466)I use to fly all the time there although unsure if they still do since it has been almost two years since I moved out of Houston. Had the ole IO-550 300HP in it (not too bad).-

They also have a C310, a couple AA5A, AA5B, and a few Cougar's-
rental prices are or "were" very fair prior to my departure..- great atmosphere (HOU)- really miss it-

Lentz (sp?) at EFD also had a few nice birds for rent-
(GLS) and MVP Aero as well....

Good luck to you-
hope u get back to (DAL)- I worked the gates (HOU) for them while in flight training (I miss it)-

C H E E R S

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:
Fletcher (HOU) has (?) or did have a very nice V-35 Banana (N91466)I use to fly all the time there although unsure if they still do since it has been almost two years since I moved out of Houston. Had the ole IO-550 300HP in it (not too bad).-

They also have a C310, a couple AA5A, AA5B, and a few Cougar's-
rental prices are or "were" very fair prior to my departure..- great atmosphere (HOU)- really miss it-

Lentz (sp?) at EFD also had a few nice birds for rent-
(GLS) and MVP Aero as well....

Fletcher has dried up (plane wise) lately. After someone gear up landed the Cougar almost 2 years ago, the owner didn't put it back on line. The Seneca's down with engine problems. The -310 was just pulled out I heard (the fact that it's parked at Clover kind of backs up the story). They're still flying the wings off those Grummans and have even added one or two.

As for their compex planes, they're all down for one reason or another. The last time I was there, they'd brought a fairly nice Mooney on line. But it's either down or out for a while.

Can't speak for Lentz or CHFS at EFD. Had a bad experience with the owner/operator of TriStar at LaPorte - wouldn't recommned that. H&R at LaPorte is still doing pretty well.

HOU-Southwest has Texas Taildraggers. They've got several Citabrias & Decathlons. A Cessna or two for primary/inst trainig also. Joy is a super good person. I'd recommend them.

At Clover, you have a couple of choices. The Bay Area Aero Club moved there after HOU-Gulf closed a few months ago. No twins and we lost our Arrow a month or so ago (went west to CA), but have several Pipers, Cessnas and a Mooney. Plans are almost complete on bringing a 90 hp Cub into the club. A couple of other members have bought a Stinson (Voyager?) and are talking about putting it in the club as well. After the -170 gets painted, it'll be back (August?).

King Flight School moved to Clover also. They have a Geronimo, Arrow and a couple of other Pipers. Also a nice sim in their new building. D&N is also renting their 125 yr old -150 Aerobat, 15A still with another Warrier and -172 as well.

SGR Aviation is doing well. Very good operation. Prices a little higher, but very nice operation and some very new equipment. They have all Cessnas and one Seminole (one of its engines started making metal, so it's down for an engine ohl most likely). SGR also has a club, but I don't know what they have since some bonehead destroyed their nice Bonanza last year - a couple of 4-place Cessnas and Pipers.

Know very little about Hooks, West Houston, Weiser. I hear lots of apparent training radio traffic at these airports.

I fly out of Weiser (EYQ), from Windsock Aviation , they have a couple of 150's, a couple of 172's, a couple of cherokees, a citabria, a mooney (maybe) and a 177RG. There are several planes at West Houston Airport , mostly 172's. Windsock has several good instructors, ask for Tom, he is the head instructor. I'm not trying to get flamed, but I would steer clear of MVP. Their instructors are poor, their planes are not well maintained, etc.... Hope you find something to fly!!

I think Bay Area Aero at Clover would be a good place to start. Do not rent from Lentz at Ellington. Most, if not all of their airplanes are timed out, way past TBO. Remember if it looks like junk it probably is.

Latest resources

Back