House Panel Protects A-10

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Traderd

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...ac-from-budget.html?comp=1198882887570&rank=1

"The House Armed Services Committee on Wednesday added $104 billion to the proposed defense budget for 2015 to include hundreds of millions to maintain and grow aviation assets that the services say they no longer want."

"The committee also included language in the mark up that would prevent or at least stall moves to eliminate or downsize a number of aircraft, including the Air Force's U-2 spy plane, the A-10 Thunderbolt, three Airborne Warning and Control System (AWAC) platforms, and 705 Army observation and training helicopters."

"The committee put spending restrictions on the Air Force when it came to its A-10 and KC-10 fleets. The A-10, which Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-NH, is leading the charge to save over in the Senate, is a close air-ground support attack plane beloved by infantry troops for its ability to strike nearby enemy forces with great power and accuracy."

It looks like with the big love affair with RC planes, everything with a pilot on board will be on the chopping block. I'm sure the guys on the ground with their backs against it will just love trying to communicate with a pilot sitting at a computer terminal exactly what needs attention.

But hey that's a small price to pay considering we get to say "look no pilot" isnt that cool.

It looks like with the big love affair with RC planes, everything with a pilot on board will be on the chopping block. I'm sure the guys on the ground with their backs against it will just love trying to communicate with a pilot sitting at a computer terminal exactly what needs attention.

But hey that's a small price to pay considering we get to say "look no pilot" isnt that cool.

I wonder if the $20B they just allocated for a replacement SAM helo fleet will include UAV capability. :eek:

I also wonder what's wrong with the current fleet. :confused:

Just read an article today (online NYTimes I think) about testing of a UH60 carrying carrying cargo, so looks like it.

Just read an article today (online NYTimes I think) about testing of a UH60 carrying carrying cargo, so looks like it.

A helicopter carrying cargo!? What will these crazy kids cook up next!?

I'm assuming you meant autonomously? I'm just giving you a hard time.

Lockheed has been (successfully) playing with autonomous KMax helicopters for a while now.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/kmax.html

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back