Hourly costs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Varig

Does anybody know how much it costs to operate a C152 and a C172 per hour? Anybody knows how to figure it out? Thanks in advance.

Varig said:
Does anybody know how much it costs to operate a C152 and a C172 per hour? Anybody knows how to figure it out? Thanks in advance.
To lay it out simply do this math :

Hourly cost := Hourly variable Cost + Hourly Fixed Cost

Throw everything in the fixed cost stuff like annual inspection, rent, parking, insurance, aircraft payments , etc. etc. and devide them by hours flown

Hourly Fixed Cost := (Annual Inspection / Hours Flown) + (Yearly payments / Hours flown in a year) + (Yearly insurance / Hours flown in a year) + .....

Hourly Variable Cost := (Fuel Consumption per hour * price f gas per gal) + (Oil Consumption per hour * price of quart of oil) + (pilot pay per hour) + ....

A nice excel File would work great for this.. If you IM me I can forward you my version of it as well..

Hope this helps..

About a year and 1/2 ago I was asking the same questions. I decided to go with a C-150, my rule is the less moving parts the cheaper it is to operate. Here are my costs for the last year. To come up with a maintenance cost per hour, I kept track of all costs then divided them by 100, the number of hours flown in a year. keep in mind that maintenance is not paid by the hour, you have to pay the invoice when it is due which runs $200+/-.
Fuel (GPH):6Fuel Costs/Gallon: $ 2.60 Fuel Costs/Hour: $ 15.60 Oil Costs per Hour: $ 1.00 Maintenance Cost/Hour: $ 2.50 Hourly Engine Reserve: $ 2.50 Prop T/R Reserve: $ - Total Variable Costs/Hour: $ 30.20 Average Speed (MPH):90Cost/SM: $ 0.34 Annual Insurance: $ 575.00 Annual Hangar/Tiedown: $ 720.00 Training: $ - Total Fixed Costs: $ 1,295.00 Hours/Year:100Fixed Cost/Hour: $ 12.95 Total V & Fixed Costs/Year: $ 4,315.00 Total Costs/Hour: $ 43.15 Total Cost/SM: $ 0.48

Are you thinking of buying your own airplane? I bought one just over a year ago and it was the best thing I have ever done (flying wise).

I can give you a quick run down on how I figure mine...of course, one major mtc issue can change everyting.

I purchased my airplane for $55,000. I do not figure my initial investment into the operating cost because I plan to sell the airplane next year (hopfully for the same amount I paid for it.)

I fly about 600 hours a year so I am basing my figures on that.

Fuel/Oil: 8-9 gph = $25.00 / hr.
Insurance: $5500 / year = $9.00 / hr.
Overhaul = $10 / hr. (planning 1000 hours before a $10,000 overhaul)
Tiedown = $1 / hr.
MTC / inspections = this is hard to figure. I put aside $5.00 / hr

This gives me a rough operating cost of $50 / hr.

I rent my airplane for $85.00 / hr and charge $30.00 an hour for myself (instructor). The gives me about $65.00 / hr.

I figure that is more than a lot of regional captains. Not bad for flying a 172.

Although, I must say it can be a little unstable at times. Good weeks and bad weeks. Like constuctions work....when the weather gets bad business is really slow.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I am planning on buying my own airplane and maybe even starting a flight school so I was just looking at hourly costs etc to see if it would be worth it. Thank you very much for all of your inputs. I appreciate it.

Having just sold my Cessna 150 after four plus years and 575 hrs of operation i think i'm in a good position to comment here. Being my own A and P and having the annual 'whipped' and compted (ie: free) by the previous owner/IA who basically trusted my work, will throw some of the numbers off. Also there is no engine reserve included, i would have just bought one if it had been required, but it never became an issue.

The numbers are for the entire period of ownership, 53 months. Tie down-3180, Insurance-2400, Fuel-8625, Maintenance (parts-no labor)-1000. All together this came to 15205. Devide this by the hrs of operation and it came out to 26.44/HR WET!. Plus it was just sold for 1500 more than what we payed for it, which would have lowered the rate slightly, as a small 'profit' was actually realized over the initial buy-in cost.

I'm moving on to a Cessna 182, Q model. Anybody out there have ownership experience in the particular model? Any comments or 'gotchas' would be appreciated.

Latest resources

Back