Hounded by feds, smeared by media

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

I have it on good authority that this pilot is a stand-up guy who would have nothing to do with anything illegal. I think all the accusations in the article are likely exaggerations or simply untruths. This is what we have to look forward to if we hook up with the wrong type of pax.

However, during closing arguments, U.S. attorney David Suchar claimed from October 2008 to August 2009, the defendant deliberately "turned a blind eye" to what should have been suspicions that drugs and contraband were in the bags of Perez, who had made several single trips to Peachtree City.

Suchar said many of those trips contained approximately four to six bags that were 100 pounds each, flying from Zapata, an area near the Mexican border, known for drug-related activity. Prosecutors addressed several other factors they believe holds Fontana accountable for his role in the crime, including payments of up to $17,000 "in bundles of cash" that he received from Perez.

According to testimonies in the case, in one instance, the handle on one of Perez's drug-filled bags broke, causing it to give off a pungent smell of marijuana that prosecutors said Fontano should have smelled due to the plane's close quarters.

"Fontana even jokingly asked if there were $100 bills in one of the heavy bags," said Suchar.

He noted witnesses as well as Fonatana should have taken notice of $20 to $40 tips given to ramp staff.

Defense attorney Page Pate spoke about the charges in his closing argument, saying "there was no evidence that he recognized the problem" or that the defendant "turned a blind eye to the illegal contents in the bags." Though the Texas area is known for drug crimes, he noted that Fontana had visited that area before to do oil business and real estate business.

Fontana's family and friends also testified to his character during the trial, saying he is a church-going man. His wife also took the stand, who said, drugs have no place in her home.

Descibed as a wealthy man, Fontana has been a pilot since 1966. Over the years, he's served as a flight instructor, earning more than 12,000 flight hours.

It smells funny though, no pun intended.
Some things mentioned in the above article should have set off alarms.
But being naive is not a crime..yet

Here's another one:
http://www.gossone.com/worlds/uss/lisette-lee-arrested-with-229kg-of-drugs-of-pot-on-private-jet

I've said before in this forum and I'll say it again....the media and all of it's associates are nothing but liars. I have a family member in the media who's been lying through her teeth since she was 5 years old. trust me, I know a liar when I see one.

Talk about smelling! This is not smelling, it is STINKING of involvement, he definately had to be involved. You take the chance you pay the price.

What alarms? 3 passengers carrying 6 bags? Hell, my 8 passengers routinely had more than 2 bags each. Giving $20 tips? My passengers would give much larger tips if the service was good. Flying from a podunk town in Texas? I do that every day!

Crap! Maybe I'm a drug smuggler and don't know it!

What alarms? 3 passengers carrying 6 bags? Hell, my 8 passengers routinely had more than 2 bags each. Giving $20 tips? My passengers would give much larger tips if the service was good. Flying from a podunk town in Texas? I do that every day!

Crap! Maybe I'm a drug smuggler and don't know it!

how often you get paid in cash... LOL

Latest resources

Back