Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hot mike / voice activation adapter? Is there such?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

huncowboy

As you see I don't even know what this thing should be called. What I am trying to find is an adapter that I can plug my headset in and would silent the interphone until it senses some input. Just like the way GA comm panels work with a squelch knob. Mikes are silent until me or the someone else starts to speak.

Someone told me hot mikes are the standard in 121 flying. Fine, but it sure drives me nuts to listen to the wind noise picked up by the other pilot's mike when there is nothing to talk about. In the ERJ we just keep swichting off the hot mike on both sides all the time but not everyone does it and it gets old to aks the other guy. Then if you want to say something you have to reach for it and turn it ON then OFF again. An adapter that would do the same would be nice.

Anything like that out there? Would this be legal to use?

Thanks!

Your idea won't help yourself unless you are going to buy one and then give it to the guy you're flying with. If you plug it into your side, you'll only be making life nicer for the other guy.

Dirk is right. Even if such a product exists, the wind noise would open the mic anyway (I suppose you could take care of it with squelch).

Your other option is to turn the intercom off. I do this sometimes, it's a little annoying turning it back on anytime the other guy talks, but the wind noise gets old.

For you guys who where the Telex 750, I know you can't hear it, but your fellow pilot can, please turn off the mic when you're not talking.

You can get rid of the edge by turning down the intercom volume but after a point it is too quiet and I don't hear my CA over the ATC chatter. It is much better when we both switch the hot mike off. With my clarity aloft it = peace.

I don't know why this would be difficult to do. A regular comm panel can do it in a C172. There are intercom modules that can do a bunch but the ones I found are working only if everyone is plugging into them. I am really not an audio engineer but I can't immagine it would be hard to put a noise filter onto the incoming line and one onto the outgoing. May be it is more difficult than I think but it sure is not impossible.

Well... I guess nobody have heard of anything like that. That blows.... the shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh will go on.

BTW what is the point in having a hot mike concept in airliners? I think at FSI they told me that it is industry standard. Why did they go this roue? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Hot boom mic for Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR). They wanna hear it all.... and if boom fails or is switched off, thats what the area mic under the compass is for...

I have the Clarity headset in the ERJ and notice the same issue. One captain I flew with suggested a mic muff.... Wont fully solve the problem but i guess it helps...havent tried it so dont know for sure... Those mic muffs are like $10-15 sold online....little piece of leather to go over the spongy thing.

Oregon Aero makes the most popular one.
http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/oregonmicmuff.htm

Im thinking of trying one myself.... If you get one before me, let me know if it works...and I'll repost if I try it out.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back