Horizon: Why are they hiring in the q200 if they are getting rid of them

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyhighordie

It seems that the Commutair deal is going through, friends there have confirmed it. Why is Horizon hiring into the q200 if they will lose one a month, it would make sense to do the differences training during that time.

in any case, as an FO just hired into the q200 my guess is that reserve will be forever, or at least until you will be sent to your new q400 class.

any horizon guys with any thoughts please post

thank you

probably because management is paying more attention trying to attack the pilot payscale and less attention on running the airline?

flyhighordie said:
It seems that the Commutair deal is going through, friends there have confirmed it. Why is Horizon hiring into the q200 if they will lose one a month, it would make sense to do the differences training during that time.

in any case, as an FO just hired into the q200 my guess is that reserve will be forever, or at least until you will be sent to your new q400 class.

any horizon guys with any thoughts please post

thank you

If you were just considering the aggregate numbers, I would agree that it seems like hiring new Q200 FO's would be pointless. But the decision to put any new hires in the 200 has more to do with specific movements between now and when the "last" 200 departs the property.

When current 200 FO's are due for upgrade, the company has to upgrade them or pay (a lot) to bypass them. These FO slots have to be filled. The "problem" with freezing 200 hiring is that lots of current 200 CA's will staff the new 400's, which means lots of FO upgrades into the 200, which will mean some 200 FO vacancies. The company has to produce a "bubble" to stay ahead of the staffing requirements. Unfortunately for some new hires, being part of the 200 bubble will suck in the long run, with long stints on reserve until the 200's finally go away altogether.

The other issue is that if (when) the SEA 200 base closes, those 200 FO's will have reduction/displacement rights into the 400 in SEA. Depending upon the timing of the SEA base closure and the Commutair deliveries, the company will have to be prepared to staff whatever 200 flying moves at the last minute to PDX.

Just my theory: I don't have any inside info.

Hey not for flaim bait, but why can't horizon convince any of the other regional carriers about the profabilities of the 400? Seriously with fuel going up as much as it has (with no end in sight) how can these regionals continue to operate the 50 seaters with CASM's so high? Are they not making a load of cash with the 400's?

Most of the guys with the 50 seat RJ's are fee for departure. They make money even if they fly an empty plane. With the exception of the F9 contract, QX doesn't have any such arrangements.

Quack said:
Hey not for flaim bait, but why can't horizon convince any of the other regional carriers about the profabilities of the 400? Seriously with fuel going up as much as it has (with no end in sight) how can these regionals continue to operate the 50 seaters with CASM's so high? Are they not making a load of cash with the 400's?

There are other regionals looking to get into flying the 400. The one I'm at is one of them and I'm sure there are others.

Another reason could be the fact that they have a horrible reliability record considering the aircraft is six years old, and with Horizon being the North American launch customer we get a lot of help from Bombardier which another carrier probably won't get.

Latest resources

Back