• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Horizon people, I wanna hear your thoughts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For newhires the 401k match is being reduced to 6%.

Tom, was that accepted by the union? Isn't the 10% match in the contract?
That's very bad news for Horizon lifers if that is true. I'm sure you can figure out what happens in 15 years when 80% of the pilots have a 6% match and 20% have a 10% match. The majority will vote in a contract with a paycut for the senior folks in some way.

Your right I jumped the gun just a bit. I think the Union may establish an alternate plan to keep the match at 10%. If your a F/A or mechanic you will only get 6%

1) Don't assume you'll get SEA if hired at QX. Only the Q400 is based in SEA, and there are new-hires going into all three aircraft.

2) Schedule-wise, seniority doesn't mean much at QX except for getting weekends/holidays off and vacation bidding. For every 18 day off (in 35!) line, there are at least five 13 day off lines. 90% of the lines are 4-on, 3-off, so that's pretty much what you can expect under this contract.

3) The 401(K) match is 100% of the first 10%, but management has announced a reduction to 6% for new-hires. Whether or not the IBT will successfully keep it at 10% remains to be seen.

4) As others have said, I'd have a really, really, really good reason for coming to QX. If the bases and no commuting isn't your hands-down number one priority, I see no reason to come here. Any major will probably be a better place to be than QX, so you might as well put in your time elsewhere and move on.

Flow through is a joke. AS not hiring next year, so no "Flow."

QOL is very different depending if you get the jet or a prop. If you get the Q200, you will suffer.

Q400, you can expect maybe 13-14 days off in 35. The new bid packet has 2 18 day off lines, some 15's and lots of 13 and 14.

Day trips come and go, and usually go senior, expect to be on the road.

Good crews, terrible management. The Air Group Way!!

messdaddy - tommy b rules. right up there with my all time fav - Mr. "King" Sean Kelly.

You could go to Skybus and have an easy one leg commute from Seattle...oh that's right it's not really Seattle it's Bellingham...

Stay away! That is my recommendation unless you want to fly with crusty grumpy old captains and want to wear 3 stripes for 8 years. Age 65 and the fact that AS is not really hiring anymore will stagnate QX even more. Go somewhere that has a really quick upgrade and do yourself a favor.

For those of you who work at Horizon, what is your overall feeling about the company? I know its a long upgrade, but I'm not concerned about that. How many days off a month do you usually end up with? How long are people are reserve? Is it easy to to do trades with others or does crew track not make that an easy process? So just anything you wish to add I would really appreciate it. My biggest concern is just how do they treat you?
Thanks

You may rethink the "not concerned with long upgrade" after about year 6 in the right seat...

You can use intangibles as a tiebreaker, but "how do they treat you?" vs. "how long to move up and out?" isn't something that I'd spend a lot of time debating.

Latest resources

Back