Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Twotter76

Masterless Samurai
Hey folks! A few posts ago it was hinted at (and confirmed shortly therafter) that Alaska was going to begin service to DEN. In that same post it was also stated the Horizon was going to pick up some of Alaska's routes out of ANC. Can someone provide some independant confirmation of this? I really need to find out about this soon and any help would be appreciated. Thanks everybody!

Twotter76
:eek:

I would doubt it since they would be stepping on all of Alaska's code share partners. Like ERA.

Rumors, rumors, rumors....
No, Horizon is not coming to ANC. Two new cities announced today for us (DEN and BOS), with more to follow soon. (Stay tuned!)
Horizon is also going to DEN out of PDX and BOI. Horizon is going to do what regional airlines do with RJ's - and that is fly routes that are not profitable on a B737 or MD-80.
Some guys get all worked up about RJ's, since there really is nothing regional about them. It is true that we have no scope in our contract, and that is something that I am sure will be hammered out in our next negotiations (in 2005).
But... "Sidney, relax, have a sandwich" (from the movie midnight run in case you are interested). Don't get all worked up about RJ's taking over the world and main line pilots losing jobs to evil management bean counters.
We are expanding, we are using all available tools in the tool box to make some money, and it is good news for Alaska Air Group.

Its not that I am worked up about it, was simply suprised. My (incorrect it seems) assumption was that Horizon would take over some of Alaska routes that they use the 200 combis on, not necessarily compete with their partner airlines up here. I imagine it would be much easier to fill a CRJ and go to Nome then it is a 737. Neat to ride on though. Then again those combis dont really seat very many people anyway. I don't think I'm gonna see RJ service to Kenai anytime in the near future (now that would be a short trip). I am glad to see Alaska provide service to Denver though, it was getting hard to get a ride on United lately...

The 9 combi's in ANC are money makers. I have heard some numbers thrown around that are amazing - like 9 airplanes doing about 30% of the total airline revenue! I'm not 100% sure that it is true, but if it is... I wonder what the other 96 airplanes in the fleet are doing to earn their keep!

Taking passengers to OME, OTZ, SSC, BRW and so on is probably a small piece of the pie. The real money is in those igloos up front. Last time I checked, there wasn't a big cargo door on the RJ.

The future for the combi is uncertain though, thanks to the friendly FAA. The Feds want the combi to die, due to Hazmat and other freight concerns. They have grandfathered the 200, but will not allow Alaska to buy the 700 with a cargo door (that the Navy has today). This of course makes Alaska fly a 20 to 21 year old jet instead of a brand new one. All in the name of safety right? Is it just me, or does everyone else get tired of the pure stupidity of the FAA?

Purple is a fruit!

Hey AK737FO-

Always good to hear what's going on at Alaska. Your company has some good opportunities ahead. Glad to hear that nobody got furloughed.

As far as the hazmat you carry on the combi's...don't other airlines take that very same stuff in their bellies? If something is labeled "Cargo Aircraft Only" wouldn't it just be taken on Lynden or someone else? How dangerous can that stuff be that is taken in the igloos? I can see the headlines..."FAA forces carrier to operate 30 year old jet". Absolutely amazing. They really need to pull their heads out of their rectums.

As far as the stupidity of the FAA...I never really gave the "security" stories much thought until it happened to me this week. Yup, I blew it! After a car trip up to Tahoe I forgot to take my tweezers out of my shaving kit before I left on a 3-day trip. Made it through security in SFO without a hitch. My tweezers didn't make it through PDX security the next day, so I mailed them back to my domicile via company mail. Upon arrival at the domicile yesterday, to my surprise my tweezers were in my box (and past the security checkpoint)!

It's ironic that we can't get through security with tweezers, but we have a razor-sharp crash axe within arms reach and the full ability to control the plane!

Enjoy the flying at Alaska...it's gotta be the best in the industry. Oh, and let me know when you are hiring again. I'll be furloughed in March and back up in Southeast flying the singles again this spring!!!

Cheers!

GP

GP
You are correct sir... The freight in the igloo is no different than the freight in the belly. In the FAA's wisdom, it is somehow a safety issue. I guess a box of fetzer valves in the igloo on the main deck is somehow more dangerous than a box of fetzer valves in the belly under the pax feet. Go figure...
I always try to remember this about the FAA. They are people who would like to do our jobs, but are not good enough to make it. It is sad that our industry has to be policed by the lowest common denominator.

Latest resources

Back