Honestly, no flame bait...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KarmaPolice

Why do you do it? Running the numbers of hiring, only about half of you will end up at a major airline, and that is with this overhyped hiring wave that is coming up. And that is after all the years of pain you have ALL been through.

Is it THAT cool to tell people you're a pilot?

You could make more money in other areas, AND be home and see your family more. (But, you can't tell people you're a pilot.)

We know 121 flying is dull, so don't try saying you love to fly. It is easy, but fun and life fulfilling? Not for our generation, let's be honest.

What does that leave? Because it's all you know how to do, and that you can tell people who have no idea how much it sucks to fly at a regional that you are a pilot?

Why do some many good people sell themselves so short?

Run the numbers after consolidation and shrinkage at majors, with the retirements. Look at what we're doing at Delta and expect the same at UAL, AMR, USAIR, ETC.

It's a fifty fifty shot for you. With the crap you deal with, with the rest of your life on the line? Really?

Honestly. No flame. I REALLY am curious why you do it and think it's worth it. I jumpseat on RJs all the time and I want to say this, but I can't because, you know, it's kind of rude and would come off totally wrong.

Funny - came across that movie today while channel surfing. Had to watch it as it was a great excuse to skip the work out and polish off a bag of nachos and salsa. Then Christmas Vacation was on so that CQT home study guide got tossed to the coffee table.

Was planning on cleaning the house tomorrow but I bet Christmas Story is running on some cable channel to that will kill any productivity for Saturday.

Because I like to and I have had ball chasing this career, and I am coming out this end in good financial shape.

Why does anyone go to university and end up with a major in art history/russian literature/underwater basket weaving? Why does anyone start a program of pre-med or pre-law, knowing that only some small percentage of undergrad students will ever get accepted to med school or a law program? Plenty of folks undertake great (and sometimes expensive) endeavours without an expectation of a guaranteed ROI. Now, it may certainly be considered wise to have realistic expecatations (I just ignore Mr. Darby's quasi-biennial smoke-and-mirror reports), and, economically, perhaps a sound back-up plan for making a living, but that doesn't preclude giving things a go.

Latest resources

Back