Honest career advice needed...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotmiketx said:
If you're making decent money and you have some sort of job security I'd stay right where you are. 320hrs/year is pretty good for corporate. Maybe even a little above average. Try not to fall into the "grass is greener" syndrome. In your job now, you are in the position to network with other corporate operators. If you want to stay part 91, start making friends on the airport where you're based. There's a good chance your next job will come to you.

As far as networking goes freight is good if you want to hang out with freight dogs all day and maybe the UPS driver. I flew freight and it was instrumental in getting my corp job, but not because of flight time, it was because I'd been to 135 ground school (stoopid insurance company.) My guess is with some PIC jet time and multi turbine time, a lot of folks won't care about your total time.

Why be so concerned with your flight time? You got hired to fly a King Air and Falcon with really low time, so don't you think there are others out there who could hire you with not-so-low time? Those operators rarely have to advertise for an opening, it's all word of mouth. (I work for one, so I kinda know how it works.)

What he said........

I'd stay where you're at. It's hard to break into corp. flying and you're already there. You're where the connections are at.

Given your situation I would do the same despite what my last post stated. Stay where youre at and network, a lot of companies need people to fill right seats for a trip or two. Send out resumes and network, an example is Ive got a company who calls a couple of times a month to pull gear in a King Air. Its only worth 10 or so hours a month but time is time and money is money. I understand your "on call" status so it may be a little challenging to time the trips but could be done.

STAY PUT.

Dont sweat those "mins" you hear about at corp jobs. They always make exceptions....and excpetions happen to guys with great track records, solid references, and strong corp backgrounds.

Dont go fly freight at this point. Not knocking the experience but its not always the best thing to have on a corp resume. People want to see steady job(s) of flying execs, not checks.

fly as much as you can, get permisssion to do side work if avail, etc....but stay the course you are on.

FWIW, my fist "corp" job or two was landed when I had less than the advertised mins and less than the "insurance' mins.

Dont sweat it, you are in the right place.

I would stay put for awhile too. If your desire to is to stay in a 91 operation~ enjoy the ride for a couple years, build some experience, and establish a reputation as a dedicated professional. It usually all works out for the best! Good luck!

Geronimo4497 said:
It sounds like you have a pretty good gig going there. IMO, if you want to stay 91, I would stay with the outfit that you are with now for as long as possible. From what I have seen, most good corporate departments like to see a commitment with previous employers, not jumping from ship to ship to ship. If you are not flying that much, I assume that you have a good amount of time off between flights. I hate to even suggest it, but what about freelance instructing on the side? Just a thought.
EXCELLENT ADVICE...

pilotmiketx said:
If you're making decent money and you have some sort of job security I'd stay right where you are. 320hrs/year is pretty good for corporate. Maybe even a little above average. Try not to fall into the "grass is greener" syndrome. In your job now, you are in the position to network with other corporate operators. If you want to stay part 91, start making friends on the airport where you're based. There's a good chance your next job will come to you.
MORE Excellent advice...

I agree with the folks telling you to stay there. Everyone I know, including myself, has gone through a period where they think things are going too slowly, they're never going to upgrade, etc etc. If you stick it out, good things should happen.

With 1200+ hours, you are probably not that far from upgrading to PIC in the King Air, if they like you and you're doing a good job for them.

Latest resources

Back