Homebuilt insurance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIG600

I'm wondering what you guys in the know, pay for insurance on a home built. What are typical coverages, premiums, etc.

Specifically it'll be an RV-7 with two pilots on the policy
1.) ~19,000 total time, no violations, revocations, accidents, etc. Certficates ATP and everything that goes with, current Airbus Captain

2.)~1,400 Total, same as above for history, Comm/MEL/Inst CFII/MEI, current flying Tacair for the Navy.

The plane will be completed soon, time to start insurance shopping.

Tailwheel time is the pivotal factor in your premium. I'm going with Falcon Insurance (EAA) for an RV4 and I'm looking at $1762 a/yr. via Global Aerospace. And that's with @ 50 hours tailwheel and a 3 hour dual RV4 checkout.....Check with Jim Pappas Insurance, he's got competative rates..

Falcon mentioned @ a $200 a/yr reduction in my premium when I get over 200 hrs taildragger in type (RV4).

Last edited:
With most well known kits (RVs, kitfoxes, lancair, ect.) you can expect to pay something close to what insurance would cost in a similiar airplane.

For the more exotic kits, you would just have to call around and see what you get.

I just bought an RV-4. I paid $277 for liability only, no hull, lower than, "standard" liability limits. (Don't have many assets to protect!) I had 2800 TT, 185 TW, 16 in type. I was quoted $480 for $1M coverage. Had a friend who was paying only $900 a year full coverage for his -4 with 43K hull. He has about 2000-3000 hours of tailwheel time.

- Brett

Latest resources

Back