Home Depot Co-Pilot Position

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since I posted this opening, let me clear up a few things:

1. Home Depot is a government contractor, as such they are required to track EEOC data. Of the last few pilots hired 2 were white males and 1 was a white female. The Department has women, Hispanics, and African-Americans in the pilot group.

2. Until this year there had not been any turnover in the pilot group for 5 years. There is a lot of turnover in the rest of the Department, but not among the pilot group. One pilot left for a better paying job flying a larger aircraft. One pilot is leaving because she is moving out of state and anticipates recall to the airlines (at least that is what she is saying). One pilot was added when Home Depot bought another company. They are looking to hire and FO now, and to build a pool for another FO hire sometime in the future.

3. They have posted the FO position a few times in the past. One position was in another state, but that position was eliminated before someone was hired because they decided to sell the aircraft. They have tried to hire several times in the past few years only to be stopped by a company-wide hiring freeze before the process could be completed.

4. The pay is below industry standard for company size and equipment type for all pilots except the 5 senior pilots. Benefits are standard for a retail company, not so good when compaired to a typical Fortune 500 company.

5. The schedule changes daily. They keep the pilots understaffed by 1 or 2 positions. They expect you to work in the office doing "projects" for 4 days per month. You only get 4 days off per month, the rest are considered "unscheduled". The 4 days off can be taken away, they are not hard days off, only vacation is considered a hard day off. Typically you will fly 12 days per month, around 35 hours per month, and have 5 overnights per month.

6. You will always have a rental car at the FBO and a day hotel room if you have more than 6 hours on the ground. You get $50 per day for meals domestic, there is no limit on an international trip. The uniform is provided by the company (everything except socks and underwear).

7. I consider this a good timebuilding job for an FO. You will get some Falcon types and quality corporate time in an IS-BAO certified flight department. Promotions are generally slow. If you want to make the big bucks and advance to Captain in less than 4 years then you will have to take the experience from this place and go somewhere else. The last two pilots that left landed much better paying jobs with better Departments.

Last edited:
good post......thanks, Sleepy. I just want to get back to ATL. Is there any way to set oneself apart from the online app? I know they(from friends in the past) don't like it when people just show up at the hangar.

Does anyone know if a lady initials K.I. still Flt. Ops. Supervisor there? I met here years ago and was supposed to give her a ride in a Super Cub...she gave me their ops freq. and like an idiot I never followed through.

Very nice post, Sleepy.
Your 2nd point is not quite right. There was one pilot that left for better pay/lifestyle 3 years ago. I don't know about before that though. Otherwise just 2 pilots that have quit within the last year.

Very nice post, Sleepy.
Your 2nd point is not quite right. There was one pilot that left for better pay/lifestyle 3 years ago. I don't know about before that though. Otherwise just 2 pilots that have quit within the last year.

One quit in 2006, one quit in 2007, and the other one quit 4 or 5 years ago (now his job is being eliminated from what I hear). One out-of-state pilot quit and the other one moved to Atlanta recently when their aircraft was moved to Atlanta. 6 years ago there were pilots based at out stations that found other jobs rather than move to Atlanta when their bases were closed, but I am not counting them. I think this is correct, but I am not 100% certain.

Last edited:
And to make sure that you understand what you would be in for if you got this job:

1. This job is not for you if you need to know what you are going to be doing before 1900 the day prior.

2. This job is not for you if you want to upgrade to Captain in less than 4 years. They have gone outside to hire Captains ahead of FO's at least 4 times in the past.

3. If you want to do that fun and exciting international flying, it will be at least 10 years before you get a shot at it, the same 6 people do all international trips (Canada and Mexico excluded). On the bright side, you won't have to spend 8 hours in the middle coach seat of and international airline flight being pre-positioned.

4. If you want that Easy type forget about it, the same 6 pilots fly the Easy. You will get the DA-50EX and DA-900B types, which is not a bad deal.

5. If you are a single parent with custody of the kids, this is not the job for you. That guy didn't even last a year.

6. If your spouce has a job that requires travel, this is not the job for you. You will need 24/7 child care, which is expensive and hard to find. One pilot has made this work for 5 years through constant manipulation of the schedule. One didn't last 6 months. I am making it work so far, but I am getting pretty fed-up with it.

7. If you have dreams of getting into management, this is not the job for you. Everyone is about the same age (30 to 40) and you will likely retire around the same time as the top dogs. You may still be an FO.

This will be a good job for you if:

1. You don't care about advancement, you just want the type to build some time and move on.

2. You like working on projects, developing training courses, doing Jepps, attending meetings, etc......

3. You really don't care what your schedule is, how much you fly, when you leave, where you go, when you return........... You won't usually work that hard, just won't know when you will work.

4. You don't care about industry standard pay, benefits, bonus, etc....., you just love to fly those pretty jets.

5. If you like training, this is a great job. You will train for everything; recurrent every 6 months, altitude chamber, crew emergency training, medical training, international training, garbage training, AED training, etc.... The training is pretty good, but takes a lot of time.

It is probably not as bad as you may have heard or read about, not as good as you would think a job flying for a company this size will be. It is what it is, it will likely never change. I have tried to give an honest description so you can decide if this might be for you. If it is, then apply. If not, then please spare us and move on.

Last edited:
Where are you furloughed from Sleepy? I ran across a former Marine in Cincinnati a few years back whose callsign was "Sleepy".

Did I read about an opening in Orlando couple of months ago? I'm assuming the position was filled. What are they looking for, in terms of competitive flight times/experience?

Did I read about an opening in Orlando couple of months ago? I'm assuming the position was filled. What are they looking for, in terms of competitive flight times/experience?

No, that position was eliminated. They want around 2000 TT, some jet time (maybe 200 hours at a min), prefer corporate or 135 time, then airline. This position is in Atlanta.

Actually, the mins are in the job posting, just look at it.

Latest resources

Back