Homage to 758ND

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

English

I used to own this great little airplane - a Cessna Hawk XP. Two friends of mine and I bought it together back when I had about 100 hours. It was white with red and blue stripes down the side, and an Elvis red interior. The interior was pretty shocking at first, but I grew accustomed to it and even learned to love it. The rest of the airplane was an absolute gem. Low time Continental IO360 (big for my experience at the time), fuel injected (whoa!) with a constant speed prop. And, 210 hp. Never had a thing go wrong with it. Not a leak of oil to be found anywhere and we didn't carry any squawks. Compression was good and the engine just purred. It was an airplane you could have confidence in, flying over the mountains, in the clouds or over the water.

We didn't buy the airplane to build flight time for the purpose of becoming hireable. We were all professionals in our respective fields, and flying was a hobby for us. We bought the airplane because we wanted to, well, own an aircraft, go where we wanted to go when we wanted to go, and we wanted to know the condition of the airplane we were flying. We also wanted to save some money and get a good value for our money. We searched for weeks for the right aircraft and finally settled on one in Texas. The airplane we found had very few owners. It started its life as a sightseeing aircraft in Hawaii, of all places, having been ferried out here new, then crated back to Texas when the flight school finally sold it.

After everything checked out in the annual (our first learning experience), my partner and I flew to Texas to pick it up. Me, 80 hours and halfway through my instrument rating. Him, maybe 90 hours and no instrument rating. We made it as far back as Chino, California, where I had to call my CFI and have him come rescue us for the ILS back into foggy Long Beach.

I did my first "real" trips in that airplane, including the first flight from Texas to California. I learned something on every single flight I took with 8ND. Some of the trips were more memorable than others...

-A two week Mexico trip (La Paz, Loreto, Mulege, San Felipe and Tijuana) where I learned about the importance of calling ahead to make sure airports have fuel, and learned the hazards of flying in a country with no weather reporting when a tropical storm shows up. I also learned how to catch lobsters, spear hunt and had my first taste of tequila.

-A trip up the California coast with no schedule, stopping at all the little airports that caught my eye. Shelter Cove, a small airport that was on the cover of the AOPA magazine that month. Eureka, the home of a bed and breakfast establishment on a small peninsula, where I found 20 sand dollars in pristine condition on a beach that looked like no one had ever walked on it before. Harris Ranch, where I enjoyed a nice meal and a dip in the pool. Oceano, where I pitched my tent next to my airplane and stayed a while, checking out the sand dunes and the fan man.

-And, my first trip to Catalina. Enjoying tri tip, and guiltily sampling buffalo burgers while actual buffalo are roaming just a few feet away. Flying back and seeing whales breaching below.

-Flying into my first airshow at Salinas. Flying Young Eagles over their homes and schools, letting them have a go at flying an aircraft. Flying several Angel Flight missions, in particular, a boy with stomach cancer who lived near Napa that had to be flown down to UCLA Medical Center on a regular basis, and a woman in Monterey who had to be flown back from chemo treatments.

That airplane showed me the joys of being a pilot. It was during that time that I decided I wanted to do nothing else but fly an airplane. Especially if someone would pay me to do it.

After a while, I was hired to fly for a regional. I moved across the country for an upgrade, other partners had babies, and then 9/11 happened. Eventually, as life and money got in the way, we were forced to sell 8ND. Here's a picture of the airplane a couple of years after we sold it.

http://www.aandeflyingclub.org/modules.php?set_albumName=maint_11_03&id=100_0061&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

We sold the airplane to a flying club. I just discovered this week that the aircraft was in an accident, apparently totalled.

I always thought I would fly 8ND again. Now the opportunity is lost.

There are at least 6 flightinfo members that flew 8ND with me. I know some Aloha pilots have flown it, too, as I've meet two captains this week who flew it back in the early 80s while it was in Hawaii. Thought I'd put the word out there for anyone else that has flown it. Great memories for a great airplane.

Now, the burning question - should I buy another airplane, now that my first love is gone?

I had to scrap my first love also....

Unlike yours...

The B!tch cheated on me.....
Point being there are other fish in the sea..

Why is the ac so tail low in the picture?

PropsForward said:
Why is the ac so tail low in the picture?

I was wondering the same thing...perhaps a hard landing on the mains "flattened" them out a bit? Too much pressure in the nosewheel strut?

-mini

Just for grins a few weeks ago, (don't recall why), I got out my first log book, and then looked up the N numbers for the C150s I soloed in, then the C150 and C172 I did my X-Countrys in. Also the Commanche I did my Comm/Inst in. I checked the FAA and NTSB databases. All had crashed over the past 27 or so years, though one of the 150s was still on the registry. Hopefully, somebody is/has rebuilt it.

Sad though, and stupid accidents...

Just like women there will always be another one around the corner. The airplane is just a machine the reality are the memories that it enabled you to have. But shucks I have hangups with N5490K, N102TA, N4175R, N50625, N61122, N4137R,N53568,N1489X,N8554C,N3517T,N14203,N333FS,N3884W,N8055Z and a few more. just like that blonde or brunette some are just hard to forget and even the smell of each of them turns you on and brings back the memories.

TurboS7 said:
But shucks I have hangups with N5490K, N102TA, N4175R, N50625, N61122, N4137R,N53568,N1489X,N8554C,N3517T,N14203,N333FS,N3884W,N8055Z

Jeeeeeez turbo,

You have a lot of baggage. I feel for the new plane you buy.

Hey English,
Buy another. For the past ten years, I have been trying to buy the airplane that I soloed in. Not only the one I soloed in, but the one that my late brother soloed in but also my dad. Tis also the first airplane that the guy who keeps me current with my CFI (he's 81) would like to have back. The current owner will not let it go, even though it need a complete rebuild............For me, it is a real treasure as, unless some else has done the same, I did not learn from my father, he learned from me.

Latest resources

Back