Holy Crap! Honey, I'm home!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
devil505 said:
I know he has the 707 which is N-number 707JT. He owns and flies it and it is Quantas colors. I only doubt that the 707 is operated from the strip as depicted because it doesn't look like he could easily push-back from where it is pictured. It looks fake, I'm sure the gulfstream is as depicted but not the 707.

Lets see, you spent your career flying large aircraft off of a nuclear powered, 1000 foot flight deck that moved worldwide, and handled a hundred or so aircraft on a 24 hour schedule through all weather, and was manned by 5000 people, but you have a problem believing that a rich guy can fly one 707 out of a 7000+ airfield?

As far as room to push back? Do some flying into Midway airport in Chicago.......Travolta has a country mile to move that thing around in!

I only doubt that the 707 is operated from the strip as depicted because it doesn't look like he could easily push-back from where it is pictured. It looks fake, I'm sure the gulfstream is as depicted but not the 707.

I was a ramper a long time ago and it looks like an easy push-back to me. Is that the only thing that makes it look fake to you? From here it looks genuine. Perhaps you can point out something else that makes you think that this isn't real.

devil505 said:
I know he has the 707 which is N-number 707JT. He owns and flies it and it is Quantas colors. I only doubt that the 707 is operated from the strip as depicted because it doesn't look like he could easily push-back from where it is pictured. It looks fake, I'm sure the gulfstream is as depicted but not the 707.

The airport that he lives at was designed to operate 707's, the founder, before they divorced was hoping to operate a 747 out of it also.

I saw another picture taken from just outside the gate. From that view you could clearly see the pushback tug as well as an airstart cart.

If it is real, can you imagine the noise it would make pulling that thing in if you were sitting on the couch in the living room?

devil505 said:
I don't doubt the 707 could operate from a 7000 foot strip, show me where I said that and I will kiss your ass. I said I doubted the room for pushback. I'm no smartass just because I doubt don't mean I'm right if I'm wrong then I learned something about the 707.

Here ya go chuckles, so far you had a ramper , and several transport catagory pilots tell you that they see nothing wrong with the room that he has for that 707. But you still don't believe it.

On top of that you are supposed to be, by your account, a Naval Aviator. Someone who should be very used to working around a very congested "ramp". Yet you still have a problem with a simple push back from a private ramp. There are many gates at major airports in this country that have less space to work with than John has in his yard. Some that come to mind are, LGA, BOS, and MDW. Each and every one of these airports has gates that are shoved way back in a corner that are far more constricted than what the picture shows.

If he doesn't have room to move that 707 around, how on earth did they manage to get your A-6 up to the deck for a cat shot?

Hawker1 said:
If it is real, can you imagine the noise it would make pulling that thing in if you were sitting on the couch in the living room?

Thank god it's an airport community. To them it's music.

Though I have heard that some of the golf course home in Spruce Creek were starting to complain about the noise from the airport that the golf course surrounds.

devil505 said:
I don't doubt the 707 could operate from a 7000 foot strip...I said I doubted the room for pushback.

i can see where you would think that, but take a closer look. if you draw an imaginary line from the right wing tip straight back, you can see theres nothing in his way. that last tree that looks like its blocking the pushback looks more like the top of one that leans a bit.

ill bet that thing pushes back far enough to clear the shelter (airplane-port?) then does a tight left turn with (without?) the assistance of the tug and has more than enough clearance :)

...which begs the question, does he taxi into that position, or is he tugged in???

devil505 said:
The gulfstream has a pad behind and to the left so the tug pushes back and turns the tail towards the pad and he is turned around and out no problem. If the 707 was pushed straight back there doesn't look like enough room to do a 180 and taxi out without hitting the awning. If the pushback turns the tail to the right the tail would hit trees. If the pushback turns the tail left the front of the plane would hit the awning. If it's a real pic I would like to see how the pushback works without hitting anything. The only way I see the pushback working is to go straight back and and do a 180 but it doesn't look like enough room to turn around.

Well here's the obvious solution.
Why don't you fly down to Ocala, land at Jumbolair, pull up to his house, and go thump the tail of the 707. Now, for an experienced Navy pilot like your self, you ought to be able to tell the difference between Styrofoam, and Aluminum. Then, go up and ring the door bell and ask him how he gets it out.
After he tells you, let us all know.
As for the picture, if you look close, you'll see it is not right overhead, and the tree you are worried about is off to the side, and because of the angle looks close to the pavement.

Latest resources

Back