Hit a deer on takeoff roll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J.C.Airborne

I hit a deer tonight on takeoff roll in a pa-28. Right strut is smashed to bits and the leading edge will need some work but other than pretty mild damage. Be careful out there guys when landing at night. no runway is always safe. The airport i landed on is tower controlled and has high fences around it. Class D airspace.

Time to go buy a lotto ticket, because you're awfully lucky to be doing well! Sorry to hear about the wreck, does insurance cover wildlife strikes?

Last edited:
I hit a deer once with a C402 full of passengers. Nosegear door damaged, took out some antennas underneath. Aircraft was ferryable as is.

stearnst said:
Time to go buy a lotto ticket, because you're awfully lucky to be doing well! Sorry to hear about the wreck, does insurance cover wildlife strikes?

Yep the insurance covers just about anything...with a 5,000 deductable of course. it was a UND aircraft, not sure if it will be flying again. fairly new as well. bummer.

I was in the u.p. of Michigan once, in the day, and almost hit numerous deer. There were a few deer standing in between the approach threshold and the numbers. The crazy part was, their color so closely matched the color of the runway, that I didn't see them until I was right over the top of them! Even since that time I've scanned the runway really good on every approach. Be careful out there!

Most people think I do S-turns while taxiing in my Cub so I can see ahead, its actually to avoid the deer crap.

Back in the late 70s in Philipsburg, Pa. a Baron hit a deer on takeoff roll and the Baron was badly damaged. He aborted the take off, which is good, because the aircraft was unflyable.
Fortunately our Beech 99s never had any run ins with the local wildlife.

There used to be some pics floating around avcanada of a B200 (I think) that lopped one in half during the rollout. What a friggin mess...

Marinate the back straps in terriaki and make some garlic mashed potato's, grill to mid rare. Enjoy. PETA, people eating tasty animals.

Glad you are o.k.

RipCurl said:
There used to be some pics floating around avcanada of a B200 (I think) that lopped one in half during the rollout. What a friggin mess...

Found 'em. Do a google image search for "deer hit by plane" and they're the first few that come up. Pretty nasty.

Latest resources

Back