Historic Pay Scales

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BillJBrake

I've looked all over the internet, and can't find anything. Does anyone have pay scales from any of the legacies (Delta, Northwest, United, Continental, TWA, American, Alaska, etc.) from the 1980s or 1990s? Just curious to see them.

While posts like "I was a 727 FO in 1992 and made $47k" is nice, I'd like to see the actual pay scales (and compare them to today).

I've looked all over the internet, and can't find anything. Does anyone have pay scales from any of the legacies (Delta, Northwest, United, Continental, TWA, American, Alaska, etc.) from the 1980s or 1990s? Just curious to see them.

While posts like "I was a 727 FO in 1992 and made $47k" is nice, I'd like to see the actual pay scales (and compare them to today).

Oooops, didn't see the part about old pay rates. Sorry...

Bye Bye---General Lee

In 1979 on a ALPA contract, I was a L-188 F/O at $900/mo

This says nothing by itself. Major carrier? Off probation? Passenger or cargo? Mainline or feeder? etc. etc. But you were sure to mention that you were on an ALPA contract and therefore ALPA let you starve. Gotcha.

This says nothing by itself. Major carrier? Off probation? Passenger or cargo? Mainline or feeder? etc. etc. But you were sure to mention that you were on an ALPA contract and therefore ALPA let you starve. Gotcha.
good point, it was first year pay, if I remember correctly, 50 hr guarantee $18/hr, we normally flew close to 80 hours. That meant take home of $1200-$1500/mo with per-deim, which was not much different that my first year counterparts at the majors. TransAmerican was the largest supplemental air carrier in the country around 50 airplanes, L-188's, L-382's, DC-8's, DC-10's and B-747's. I remember the DO coming into ground school and telling us we would all be 747 Captains in five years with their growth plans. We would be making $100K/yr . In five years they were all but out of business and I had moved to the job security of the Corporate world, but that is a different story.

That was also the starting pay at Delta in 1979. After 6 months, it increased to $1000/mo. Year two you went on hourly pay and got about twice that amount, and by the third year most guys were back to making what they had as an O-3 in the military.

In 1979, I had a paper route. Made about fifteen dollars a week, operating a 5 speed. By year two, I upgraded to the ten-speed, twenty dollars a week. and the occasional Marlboro.:D

"I'd like to see the actual pay scales and compare them to today.."

Can you handle the Truth?

Here it is:

- 747 - Max Captain at / NWA in 1991 had a Base Annual Guarantee of approx. $186,000.

- Adjusted for inflation that's $319,444.00 in today's dollars.

- 747 - Max. Captain / Delta - Base Annual Guarantee = $205,140.00

Sad...Isn't it?

Now, compare that to CEO / Management pay scales (which have risen astronomically percentage wise) during the same time frame and it makes you want to slip into their homes at night and personally slit their throats as they sleep...Oh, sorry...That last part was supposed to be in my "Inside Voice".

:(

YKW

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back