Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hiring in smaller numbers at XJT, but consistent..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TEXAN AVIATOR

Bewbies
Projected new hires -
December 32
Jan 32
Feb 32
March 32
XJT pilots with class dates at CAL over the next few months -
Dec 14
Jan 27
March 35
If the movement to CAL (among others carriers) continues, the new hiring will continue due to attrition. Good luck to all of you hopefuls!

Couple of questions:
What are the chances of a new hire getting CLE?
How long on Reserve?
Is there any sort of commuter clause or call in honest policy?
What are the MIN days off while on reserve?

Thanks for any info, I know I could find the answers to some of the questions by searching, but domicile info can change and searching for Xjet just brings up way to many posts.

Thanks for any info, I know I could find the answers to some of the questions by searching, but domicile info can change and searching for Xjet just brings up way to many
Getting based in CLE depends on where the corporate dart lands. Most new hires go to EWR. Reserve is currently 3-6 months depending on your base. There is a commuter policy, but don't count on using it, especially on probation. 12 days off for reserves, up to 19 days off for line holders. Good luck.

I would not count on CLE, supposedly CLE is shrinking and most of the flying will be done with EWR and IAH crews. Newark is most likely out of the box, but as with everything else in this business it could all change tomorrow.

Asking about how long you'll sit on reserve is like asking who's going to win the lottery tomorrow. It could be 3-6 months for the guy hired now, and forever for you if you're hired at the tail end of the hiring cycle. There are too many variables at XJT right now to say what will happen in the short term.

As far as days off, six months will have 11 days off, the other six months have 12 days off. Don't ask me what those months are, I think they are at the discresion of scheduling.

upndsky said:
Asking about how long you'll sit on reserve is like asking who's going to win the lottery tomorrow. It could be 3-6 months for the guy hired now, and forever for you if you're hired at the tail end of the hiring cycle. There are too many variables at XJT right now to say what will happen in the short term.

As far as days off, six months will have 11 days off, the other six months have 12 days off. Don't ask me what those months are, I think they are at the discresion of scheduling.

Months that have 31 days in a bid period will be 12 days off and months that have 30 days or less in a bid period will have 11 days off. The bid periods do not coincide with a calendar month and crew planning publishes the projected bid periods about 6 months in advance. The last three months have had 12 days off for reserves and I believe that Jan, Feb, and Mar will have 11 days off. I had 18 days off in Oct because I designated myself as no preference to fly. If you commute and you want to work, you can designate yourself as will-fly and they will use you first. Reserve at XJT is not bad and is usually better than being a junior line holder if you live in base. I average about 16 days home each month other than the busy summer months. I don't know of any other company that has a reserve system as nice as ours. Call-out time is 2 hours and they also build 10% of the reserve lines as long-call lines which have a 12-hour call out. Guys are sitting reserve in DAL, AUS, and SAT if they can hold the long call lines.

Thanks for all the responses, I am soon to be kicked to the curb and just trying to decide whether to try to go some place else and commute, or wait it out for a while and hope that this is only a short term deal. Since I recently picked up everything and moved to live in domicile for my current job, moving again is out of the question, for a while a least.

Commuting is can been done no problem on reserve. I did it for a few months before based advanced back home. Made the commute everytime and i was commuting hub to hub which is a harder commute. Commuting sucks but can be done on reserve with our reserve system.

Truckdriver said:
\Call-out time is 2 hours and they also build 10% of the reserve lines as long-call lines which have a 12-hour call out. Guys are sitting reserve in DAL, AUS, and SAT if they can hold the long call lines.
Then they are driving back and forth to IAH everyday, which must be a joy at these gas prices. As for commuters who think they can sit reserve at home, they must find it fun to jumpseat to work everyday and sleep in the crewroom quite often! Long call is a farking joke. Better get a good trip on day one or else your sitting stand-by and then doing cr@ppy day trips the rest of the week. Trust me I know. Great idea by the union, poorly put in action by the company.

BTW, CLE is a slowly dying base at this place. If you go there it will probably be a long time on reserve with potential for more cutbacks to come.

Last edited:
Truckdriver said:
I had 18 days off in Oct because I designated myself as no preference to fly.

You had 18 days off, or you had 11 days off and didn't get worked for 7 of your R days? Huge difference to a commuter.

Latest resources

Back