Hired!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyking1976

It's official! I was hired by a Pt. 135 charter company last Thursday for a SIC position in a King Air 350. This is my first time flying an aircraft that you don't have to worry about shock cooling or leaning mixtures. Any pointers from you King Air drivers out there would be great. By the way.... what the heck are "ice vanes"? Thanks Guys!

Skyking1976:

Congrats on the job as well! Good luck in the future. I used to fly the E-90 King Air and loved it. Does the 350 require a type rating?

Reguards.

Congrats!

Congratulations and best of luck! The King Air is a very solid, pilot-friendly airplane. It may not be the speediest bird around, but it will do most anything asked of it. I fly a 200 corporate, and am very much enjoying it.

Previous post right on about ice vanes ... essentially doors in the intake that open and allow ice chunks to flow straight out the bottom of the nacelle instead of making the 180 in to the compressor (remember, the PT-6 is reverse-flow, so the compressor is in the back and the exhaust is up front by the prop!). Remember that, due to the power loss mentioned, you will suffer a small true airspeed penalty when the vanes are extended.

Best advice I can offer is to fly the numbers ... the climb speed schedule works great, and even at gross I'm doing 1000 fpm until above FL200. Nail your ref speed on final ... KA lands great (but flat compared to the pistons!) unless you're carrying extra speed ... then it'll float all day long.

In response to another post, yes, the 350 requires a type. The 200's MGTOW is 12,500, making it the heaviest non-type KA ... the 300/350 requires a type ... the type is common to both, if I'm not mistaken.

Tailwinds, y'all ....

R

Small TAS penalty with ice vanes extended? Do you have the Raisbeck ram air recovery? Our BE-B200 looses 25-30 kts with vanes/engine-anti-ice/inertial seperators out as well as reduced climb performance. If you do have the Raisbeck mod, I would be interested in some numbers - cost and performance.

Hey, Wowjack, is that quote from the Iron Eagle movie?

Last edited:
Raisbeck mods

CVS ...

Yes, we do have the Raisbeck ram air recovery system on our (straight) 200 KA. It was installed before I got to the a/c, so I don't have info on the cost of the system, but it would seem to help the penalty w/ ice vanes out.

The other mod we just got is the Frakes exhaust stacks ... replacing the Beech factory ones. They have provided about a five knot boost to TAS (from 265 to 270) and really do cut down substantially on soot deposits (though they are not "soot-free" as Frakes may claim).

Tailwinds, y'all ...

R

Timebuilder......You Smell. There is nothing, I say again, Nothing quotable from any Iron Eagle flick. If you have any quotes from Chappy...lose them. Then watch Top Gun about 100 times. Nearly every line is quotable. You will be a fountain of cool quotes for any situation and have a great desire to fly Tomcats.....Resist the Force.

Ah, well. At least my deodorant failure occured at home, late at night. I'm off to the showers....:)

At GSO this week, while waiting for the pax to return, a Tomcat came by for a visit. Dropped the wheeels, touched down, sucked up the wheels, maintained about six feet off the runway for most of the remaining distance of the 10,000 foot rwy 5, added afterburners, and pulled straight up.

As a contrast, while we waited, two DC-3's, or to be proper, one DC-3 and a C-47, stopped on the ramp next to the Lear. Round engines are cool.

Latest resources

Back