Higher Power 737 Type (tax question)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snaab

Looking to head to Higher Power for the 737 type.

Question:
Is some/all of the training tax deductible? Haven't heard back from my aviation tax accountant yet, but was curious about this.

Also, if anyone has been to H.P. for the type, I'd like to hear about your experience. Thanks!!

-Snaab

I got about half of the cost of the type back. I think it count towards continuing education or something like that. Higher Power was a great experience! I highly recomend it and so does SWA.

tax deduction

My wife got a 737 type in 2001 and we deducted all the expenses including hotel and food for the duration of the training. We used the continuing education deductions in our taxes.
There were some sort of deals out of a school in Phoenix at the time where you could get your complete expenses paid by the state employment office. We tried in CA but they did not know how it worked.

I got about half of the cost of the type back. I think it count towards continuing education or something like that. Higher Power was a great experience! I highly recomend it and so does SWA.

Of course SWA recommends it - isn't the owner a Southwest pilot? Why you guys want to blow all that extra cash for a 737 Type when there are so many places that are $2000+ cheaper is beyond me. They don't care where you get the Type, as long as you have it!!

Don't think the owners are or have been SW pilots. It's true that a type is a type and it does not really matter. But, you will get a good bit of exposure there to some folks from the people dept. and that cannot hurt anything. It is very competitive to get hired and a couple of thousand dollars will seem pretty cheap if it gets you on the list a little sooner. When I made my decision I knew that I didn't want to leave anything on the table.

I got my type at FTI (Flight Training International). It's a pretty good operation, and cost me $4995-much less than Higher Power. I used the Lifetime Learning Credit on my Federal taxes and received a 20% tax credit for the amount paid to FTI. That worked out to a couple bucks short of $1000. Remember, this is a tax credit not a deduction, so as in my case I got an extra $1000 back on my tax return. I was told by a tax professional that only the tuition can be used for the credit--no hotel, travel or food expenses (I'm not 100% sure that is correct.)

Smelly

Higher power was a great experience. Did the 300 for the same cost as the 200. They are a "known comodity" Many of the SWA pilots have gone there so the training dept at SWA knows where they are coming from.

The instructors are a lot of retired Braniff guys..SWA as well. one thing that is nice is that you can go back to HP and sit in on ground school and sim sessions any time you want when you are an alum. That is a nice benifit if you sit in the pool for a while. I hear some guys even go back prior to their first year PC for a refresher. Not a bad benifit.

I had the job offer before the type.

Just my opinion...but as others said...a type is a type....

They are a "known comodity" Many of the SWA pilots have gone there so the training dept at SWA knows where they are coming from.

Believe me....the SWA Training Dept doesn't really care where you got the type or when you got it, or if you paid for it or grandma gave it to you as a gift...

In fact, on day 1...they don't even ask if you have one.

On to the original question....YES !!! Claim all costs associated with getting your type...even if you are employed at another airline and upgrading....

I did !!!

Latest resources

Back