Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PolarTwins55

Heart Attack Hall
Did anyone here go through this? I'm looking for more information on this, as it's very attractive to me.
What exactly is a warrent officer, and how do they differ from commisioned officers? Also, would having a csel and instrument help at all in the selection process?

Thanks

PolarTwins55 said:
Did anyone here go through this? I'm looking for more information on this, as it's very attractive to me.
What exactly is a warrent officer, and how do they differ from commisioned officers? Also, would having a csel and instrument help at all in the selection process?

Thanks

I did this but it was more than 20 years ago so my info is, like myself, rather old. I will say it was difficult then (in terms of competition) and I would guess not much has changed in that area. I would guess an aviation background would be helpful, I was told it made a difference in my case and I only had a PPL and IR going in.

You may want to note that we are "Warrant" officers. The difference lies in the intellect my friend. I will leave it to others to say which group has the short end of that stick:) . In general as a warrant, you will have a primary responsibility in a technical area. If you are a rlo, you'll find your primary responsibility lies in the leadership role.

One suggestion, if you find yourself as a 2LT platoon leader in an aviation unit with some senior warrants under your "command", learn how to listen to the voices of experience early on. You will be a better leader for it. Not to metion you might actaully get past RL3.

Good luck if you give it a try. Start early becasue to the school from the street can be a pretty long road if you can't get a motivated recruiter. And as others will surely chime in, when the recruiter tries to get you to enlist, resist the urge unless that is what you really want.

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently in my Junior year of high school, and this sounds like something I'd really like to do. Not only do I get to serve my country, but I get to fly AND get paid for it. Beats having to pay to fly! Is this somethign I should be actively pursuing now, as you say it may take some time

HS to Flight School

The Army WOFT is one of the best opportunities for an ambitious young person. My info is a little dated too. I went through in 86-87. As far as having a comm SEL w/instrument, yes any experience will help you. Commisioned officers get a "Commision" by congress, signed by the President. Warrant officers get their commision by order of the Secretary of the Army. Good luck in you career.

You need to have a college degree to be a commissioned officer. There are a few ways to do that - West Point, ROTC, OCS, or direct commission (DC). About the only way to get a DC in the Army is if you're a doctor or lawyer, or have some other specialized skill (besides being a pilot). OCS is fine if you're willing to enlist and spend some time on the ground first. That leaves ROTC or West Point. In order to get branched aviation, you need to be one of the best of the best. And you need to have some luck. It also helps if you know someone.

I did the ROTC route. I got very lucky. I wasn't the best cad-idiot, but I did have a decent college GPA and lots of extracurriculars. My dad being an active duty Sergeant Major probably didn't hurt either.

Now for the kicker - Take a look at my total time. 550 of that is in helicopters. 250 of that was from flight school. I was in the army for 5.5 years after flight school. Do the math and see how much I flew as a commissioned guy. And I was probably middle of the pack amongst my peers.

Bottom line - if you want to fly, go warrant. I almost wish I had, and if I had to do it over again, I would definitely go warrant. I had WO's come to my platoon a year after I got there, from flight school, who are around the 1500 hour mark now, 4 years later.

Any ratings you already have will definitely help in the application process. I don't know how much they are weighed, but you might want to go over to http://aptap.forumco.com and do a search on WOFT. You can definitely get some good info there. Good luck.

High School to flight school was a term that was coined years ago when they actually accepted a lot of 18yr old guys into the WOFT program. Technically you can still go from HS to Flight School, but the reality of it is that there are not many 18 yr old guys getting selected. I am not sure about current situation, but I know during the time that I was an Army Warrant (94-02) I never saw any new guys younger then 23 or 24. 21 was rare, but there were a few. The average age was about 27, with some sort of degree. Most all of the civilian to flight school people had a degree.

I reccomend that you apply and see what happens, but in the mean time plan for another course of action. If you get selected to WOFT in the mean time great, if not keep pursuing other officer programs. DEFINATELY don't join the ARMY as a commissioned officer if you want to fly. If you are going to get your degree first, join the NAVY, AF, or Marines.

One real advantage you could have if you do get selected at a young age of less then 20, you could be an Army pilot for the next 6-7 years, get your degree along the way, and still be able to get selected to the AF, NAVY, or Marines as a pilot before 27. You would get a lot of great experience, AND retire at a young age.

There are many ways to skin the cat. Probably one of the main reasons the Army has kept the High School to Flight School option open all these years has been as recruiting tool. Making guys think that anything is possible, and try to get them to enlist first, with the dream of going to flight school. Remember that recruiters do not gain ANYTHING towards their quota by getting a guy selected to flight school, only enlisting guys to fill enlisted positions. That can always work against you, since they might not be as motivated to do so.

Contact someone who has recently been thru the process, and do your best to put together the best packet you can. Don't half ass it in order to meet some deadline. Do it good...ONCE. Have the recruiter send you to get a flight physical, just having that approved will be a huge hurdle, and make your future aspirations to other pilot programs a little easier.

Find a mentor to help you. I recently helped a former enlisted guy from an old unit get selected. He is in WOCS at the moment. Good Luck.

Pistlpetet said:
I am not sure about current situation, but I know during the time that I was an Army Warrant (94-02) I never saw any new guys younger then 23 or 24. 21 was rare, but there were a few. The average age was about 27, with some sort of degree. Most all of the civilian to flight school people had a degree.

I agree, and that's been the majority of what I've seen as well, but don't let what Pistlpetet said above discourage you at all - when I was a platoon leader (00-02), we had two young warrant officers that showed up at the unit that weren't old enough to buy beer. In fact, I think one was 19 when he got to the unit. Needs of the Army always prevail. Like he also said, apply, and see where it takes you. It never hurts to find out.

I joined the Army in the early seventies and after Boot Camp went directly to Flight School. I already had my College Degree and my Private Licience Fixed Wing. Going directly from High School to Flight School is not a good idea. Very few 18 year old are mature enough for the responsibility of flight School and a professional Army Aviator. Becomming a Warrant Officer is the way to go but only after you have your college behind you. I retired after 22 years as a W4. I enjoyed my career as a Warrant Officer. Take my advice and get your college degree, mature a few years and then join the Army and go to flight school. If you want to fly become a Warrant Officer. If you want to sit behind a desk and fly just enough to be dangerous become a Commissioned Officer.

Last edited:
If you get your degree first. Don't join the Army to fly. If you have a choice, go Air Force, Navy, or Marines. There is a lot more "pain" involved in being an Army pilot.

Rotorhead1 said:
If you want to sit behind a desk and fly just enough to be dangerous become a Commissioned Officer.
Ouch.

Latest resources

Back