High Performance Endorsement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tailwind

I was told I need Ground and flight training. What books contain the material needed for the ground portion? And what will I be expected to do in flight?

I'm currently Commercial SEL Instrument, so I already have the complex endorsement.

Thank for the info,
Tailwind

Far 61.31

(f) Additional training required for operating high-performance airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (f)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower), unless the person has—
(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and
(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a high-performance airplane.

There is nothing required for what is ito be covered during the ground portion. However, study up on turbochargers, fuel injection, pressurization, de-ice/anti-ice, stuff like that........

Tailwind said:
I was told I need Ground and flight training. What books contain the material needed for the ground portion? And what will I be expected to do in flight?

Ground: more HP will require more right rudder.

Flight: use enough right rudder.

That's about it if you already have your complex endorsement. Going from a 200HP Arrow to a 220HP Dakota is a no brainer.

Of course you need to thouroghly educate yourself about the particular engine you are flying behind. Turbos (fixed wastegate or auto), geared engines, superchargers, can add to your workload increadibly.

Latest resources

Back