Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
What are the most common FAA friendly high blood pressure medications. I am a healthy guy, not overweight, eat healthy, have not had a Whopper burger in 5 years, yet my BP is 140, 143 over 85ish.

Oh well, welcome to middle age.

If I need BP meds, which ones can I steer my Dr. towards?

THANKS

The type of medicine you will need will depend on what your Dr. determines is causing the high BP in the first place. There are several varieties of drugs to treat high BP, depending on the underlying cause. I know that I take an ACE inhibitor and it is approved by the feds. Other meds may not be approved.

If you don't have a good regular doctor who understands the ins and outs of your FAA medical and can talk about it with your AME, you might want to consult a web site like www.leftseat.com Good luck.

High BP

Talk to your AME. My family physician is my AME. He has me on Lisinopril. It is FAA approved and works very well. 150/95 down to 125/78!

Contrary to popular belief, Your AME is a great resource for these situations. As long as he's ethical, he has to treat you as two separate patients, depending on whether you are there for a FAA medical or some other procedure. Not that it should really matter.

My AME told me sometimes going to a non-AME can result in real problems if they prescribe some script that is not approved. Not only do you have to change, some meds have a lead time measured in days, weeks or even months before you can act as a crewmember again.

My $.02.

I printed the FAA approved list out from various reputable sites and gave it to him. He is not AME, but one of the top of the top in my area heart doctors. He chose the meds on the approved list.

If you don't have a good regular doctor who understands the ins and outs of your FAA medical and can talk about it with your AME, you might want to consult a web site like www.leftseat.com Good luck.

I would recommend AOPA. $39.00 a year and not spending a lot of money for nothing. They have a very good staff. They saved my medical for me after I paid for nothing and was lied to by a famous hired gun (service). The service messed up and delayed my S.I. for 6 months. They even lied to me after AOPA found out what was still missing. The real story will be out soon after the papers are served.

There are very few medications not approved by the FAA. One rule I believe is that a medication must be out for over a year so try to stay away from something brand new.I guess it has to be on the market for a while to prove no adverse problems. AOPA has a list of meds that are ok and also can walk you through what is required.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back