High Blood Pressure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

agpilot

Can you keep a 2nd class medical while taking blood pressure medication? I have not looked in the Reg's yet to see, I thought I would ask you guys first.

Ask your med examiner. I believe it depends on the medication. I believe some meds are ok while others are a no no.
agpilot said:
Can you keep a 2nd class medical while taking blood pressure medication? I have not looked in the Reg's yet to see, I thought I would ask you guys first.

Most blood pressure meds are approved. They get approved on a case by case basis. This means that you have to be on the med plus have blood pressure checks by your doctor three diffrent days. You also need supporting blood work. You have to have a cardio exam every vist to the AME, an EKG will do. The FAA is recommending via the AME anyone who is prehypertensive meaning any BP above 120/70 should be on BP medication vs. waiting till they are at 155/95 or higher. I think the medical field likes to sell meds but that just my take on it. I went on meds at 50 just an ACE inhibiter, it has done the job well. My wife just say loose weight, easier said than done........

Last edited:
TurboS7 said:
I think the medical field likes to sell meds but that just my take on it.

Yea, that just about sums it up. They reduced the thresholds for BP and Cholesterol levels for a reason and it has nothing to do with making the pharmaceutical companies richer. ;)

You can get and keep a second class medical with well-controlled hypertension. It is one of the easier medical conditions to get certified with, and if all blocks are checked the AME *may* issue your medical certificate at the time of your visit.

Almost all standard BP meds are approved. MAO Inhibitors are not (they are rarely used these days). A big part of the evaluation is to look for end - organ damage (renal insufficiency, cardiac disease, etc)

Concur with AOPA - their medical assistance services are excellent and are by themselves worth the cost of membership.

Remember when you go to your AME to have with you exactly what is called for on the FAA Hypertension exam protocol (available to members on AOPA.org) and nothing more. Too much information can screw things up, as will not enough.

In general it's a good idea for your personal physician to NOT be your AME. Your personal physician owes a duty to you. The AME owes a duty to the FAA. In some instances, could be a conflict.

Absolutely, you can take it and keep a 1st class medical as well!

Latest resources

Back