• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

High blood pressure and medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So....I went into my MD today and got the lowest blood pressure of 140/95 (even while being nervious). They did a EKG and a bunch of tests and think I am fine (pending test results) He told me to lose weight and eat right and it should come down.
Not bad considering that I thought about all day yesterday and today and everytime I did I got a shot of adrenline.

I think I'll be fine if I can just calm down at the docs office and work on my lifestyle.

It's still kind of high. Check your stress level. Stay away from the Mickey D french fries and soda. I'm one to talk; I must have three or four Diet Pepsis a day at work. :(

Feel well, my friend.

Last edited:
Re: A Response?

B-J-J Fighter said:
Is this clown ever going to respond? What a loser.

Ugh, OK fine here is my response.

You're an immature child. My only advice is grow up.

>>My pride and ego comes from total physical dominance of another human being. Dont get me wrong I enjoy flying, but I fly for a living because it gives me the time to do what i really enjoy in life, compete and train in combat sports. Thats my real love. >>

This is an unbelievable statement. You would not be able to pass the psychological portion of any airline interview with this attitude. Frankly, when I was hired I had guys about your age that got hired with me. None exhibited anything like this neanderthal, chest thumping, bravado, "my dad can beat up your dad" BS attitude.

>>Ugh, OK fine here is my response.

You're an immature child. My only advice is grow up.

>>Clown Pilot I would make you look like a clown if we ever meet. >>

LOL. I make a point of staying away from gumbahs like you who want to beat me up so they can prove what a man they are. Go away little boy. I guarantee we will never meet.

>>What the f%ck have you done fat boy>>

Short version:

Certified Personal trainer at age 20.
Navy pilot age 21.
Gulf war vet and over 100 hrs combat time.
10.5 yrs active duty, 2.5 reserve LCDR USNR
Naval Postgraduate School accident investigator
Major Airline pilot age 32.
Maintain 6-7% bodyfat and a sixpack you'll never see.
(Go to my profile on Yahoo 'flawless_physiqued')
First officer flying AA's newest bird the 737-800.
1700 hrs in commercial jet aircraft.
3000 hrs military.
At least a semblance of a clue tough guy.

>>Im no longer under the supervision of a nutritionist. >>

You should be under the supervision of a very qualified psychiatrist.

Don't bother me any more little boy. Or at least until you have a six pack like mine you egotistical, infantile, pathetic, little bully.

Now, I'm out. LOL.

A Response to the Clown

Your the one that started this crap by saying Im a wannabe, Ive got your wannabe.

You stated and I quote:
"This is an unbelievable statement. You would not be able to pass the psychological portion of any airline interview with this attitude. Frankly, when I was hired I had guys about your age that got hired with me. None exhibited anything like this neanderthal, chest thumping, bravado, "my dad can beat up your dad" BS attitude. "

Well your wrong, I already have an airline job and I have been accepted into UPT in the A/F if I want it or Army Woft if thats what I want. I sure want being flying something like the P3, I will be in a fighter if thats what I want. Im not only good at doing things I like, Im always of the best.

Im dont beat on my chest or act like a neanderthal at all. In fact most people that meet me think Im one of the nicest friendliest guys they have ever met.

So my advice to you is not to grow up, but think before you open your loud mouth punk, it could really get you in trouble sometime in life. You started this by calling me a wannabe now deal with it.
I will check back later to see if you can offer a valid response.

White coat syndrome is definately real. I've got it too. I have had the same problems with sudden elevated pressure reading during medicals in the past. I first discovered it while doing a pre-military medical screening, when I was in great shape. Ultimately I became educated by a few of the military doc's who saw this condition very commonly, especially among military pilots whose career hinges on those little numbers on the box. The routine became during every medical coming in and strapping on a cuff with an automated machine checking my pressure about every 2 minutes. It would always start high and go higher for about the first few readings, but then eventually come down to 120/70 while I sat in a quiet room, relaxed, and thought about other things than my blood pressure being taken.

The FAA has recognized this problem and has reduced their strictness on medicals now. There used to be a 150 limit for the high end, that they have since done away with, (i'm told by my AME). Just that fact alone has dramatically improved my syndrome since this fact. The last couple medicals, I have gone in first try and nailed a 125/80 or such.

My advice is get an automated cuff you can use on yourself at home. Use it several times a day as practice. Even if you are seeing normal levels, continue with the process. The more you get used to the feeling of having your pressure checked, the less you will think about it "abnormally" and the better your chance of not having an elevated hydrenaline response which drives up the pressure as your arteries and vessels contract.

But you must also maintain good health with exercise and diet. Get about 30lbs off and avoid salt. Add potasium to your died, either through food or vitamens. Bananas are a good source. Try to avoid as much stress before your physicals as possible. I know much of this is common sense, but make sure you are doing it. Good luck.

Re: A Response to the Clown

<<Well your wrong, I already have an airline job and I have been accepted into UPT in the A/F if I want it or Army Woft if thats what
<<

Current AF commitment AFTER pilot training is 10 yrs. Training is 2 years. You'll be at least 36-37 yrs old before you're eligible to get out and work for an airline. I'm assuming that's what you want to do since you're on this board. Army WOFT will only get you rotor time, useless to an airline wanna be. Why would anyone apply to WOFT if they had a degree? Methinks you fib.

<<I want. I sure want being flying something like the P3, I will be in a fighter if thats what I want. Im not only good at doing things I like, Im always of the best.<<

I've read this a couple times and it doesn't make any sense but I think I got out of it that you think flying a fighter is much better than flying a P-3. You probably got that from watching Top Gun about 500 times. I wanted to be an airline pilot. Heavy, multi-engine, turbine time was most important to me. Never spending one day on a ship was about as important. I didn't want to be a fighter guy. If you want to, fine. None of this means I believe you were accepted into UPT, but that's nice if you did.

<<Im dont beat on my chest or act like a neanderthal at all. In fact most people that meet me think Im one of the nicest friendliest guys they have ever met.<<

Is this before or after you beat them up? BTW do you even have a chest?

<<So my advice to you is not to grow up, but think before you open your loud mouth punk, it could really get you in trouble sometime in life. You started this by calling me a wannabe now deal with it.<<

You ARE a wanna be. You're here aren't you? Why are you so insulted by that? You probably want to beat me up too. Well, you can't. Tell you what. When you're ready to work for a major airline in a few years why don't you send me your resume? I'll go out of my way to make sure it gets into the right hands at American. Since you're the best I'm sure you want to work for the largest airline in the world. I'll even attach a nice note from me to make sure it gets the attention it deserves. Until then, don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back and don't cry if you don't make it. I'm sure if they don't clamor to hire you at the majors you can just find the chief pilots, beat them up and force them to hire you. I mean you're the best right? Maybe I'll be a chief pilot by then and you can come and beat me up. A 2 for 1 deal. What a bargain. You can totally physically dominate me and then I'll idolize you.

<<I will check back later to see if you can offer a valid response. [/B][/QUOTE]<<

Please let me know what airline you work for now. I think I'd get a good chuckle out of that one.

PS You really do seem unbalanced to me. Have you ever been institutionalized? Declared incompetent. Beaten up a lot when you were little?
:D :D :D :D :D

To the Clown

Alright clown, enough of the name calling, and no I dont want to beat you up or anyone else for that matter. I do enjoy, well let me rephrase that, I love competition in combat sports. My goal is total physical dominance on my opponent. I cant STAND losing in any physcial competitions especially when its physical in nature.

I do have a degree and have been accepted in both. My absolute dream job is not an airline pilot, its to fly rotor wing EMS, thats what I really want to do in life, as well as run my own gym geared towards cross training in combat sports. Enough of this stupid name calling. Later.

"Flow With The Go"

nun

TurboS7 said:
Who is fibbing who????Who do you fly the 737-800 for, which airline???

Fibbing who?
I said in my post
......and what do you care?

BTW, I'd better retire in 25 years with fewer than 16,000 hrs.

Latest resources

Back