hi performance signoff

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
High-performance signoff v. complex signoff

"Complex airplane" used to be a slang term we all used, but not officially recognized in the FARs. I've learned in the year since I resumed participation in aviation that a "high-performance signoff" is not a "complex" signoff. There are two separate signoffs you must obtain. You must obtain a "high-performance" signoff to fly, e.g, a Dakota, 182, or bigger. A "high-performance" signoff used to come after you checked out satisfactorily in an airplane with an engine of more than 200 hp or an airplane with flaps, retractable gear and controllable prop. That meant that, e.g., you could check on in a fixed-gear Waco (which has more than 200 hp. - maybe 450 hp) and could fly as PIC in a retractable. In any event, the way the reg reads now, your checkout in a Seminole only counts for a "complex" signoff.

I think it's all pretty stupid. I read somewhere that AOPA is lobbying for a rewrite of that reg so that total hp from all engines is the criterion.

The FAA denied the AOPA petition to change the wording.

That intelligence is right up there with the guy that says airline pilots need to go thru security screening because they cannot be positively identified. Now have they been positively identified when they get in that massive weapon with the crash axe. At least they don't have a pocket knife!

Avbug

Thanks for the clarification Avbug.

I've been out of Aviation since 1995. I got fed up with the P-F-T we saw back in early 90's. I just wasn't going to prostitute myself after spending a good size investment in my training.

As far as my sign off, I think I'm still legit since I have Otter time back in 1994.

Latest resources

Back