Hey...nice logbook

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eriknorth

Ok, I've done some previous post research on logbooks, but I'm not getting the answer I want. I am about to start my flight training to get my PPL in about two weeks. I am debating on whether or not to get a nicer logbook from the start, such as the Pro Jepp logbook. I know it might be overkill to start, but I plan on flying for a living, and I am quite the perfectionist, meaning that I would like to have a clear, organized logbook. Looking back in your careers, would you have rather had your time nicer in a better logbook from the start?

It doesn't matter. My first logbook has whiteout, scratchouts, mistakes... Get a big or little logbook. Use a pen.

If you're gonna do this as a career, just get the big book...

And I would also recommend looking into one of the Computer Logbooks and start that from day one... I am now facing the daunting task of entering 7,000 hours into one (and that is delaying my decision to get one)...

Good Luck and Fly Safe!

Logbooks

Appreciating your point of view and desire for perfectionism, you can start out with one of the big logbooks, if you'd like. You might like the Jeppesen logbook. The Jepp books have the basic signoffs for the various certificates and ratings already printed in squares in the back. All your instructor(s) has to do is fill them in as you progress through your training. It keeps things very organized.

As a practical matter, though, you might be buying a lot of unused columns for a first logbook. Really, one of the little logbooks is adequate for when you're just starting. You can buy a bigger logbook later.

Either way is fine, really.

I would recommend getting a smaller logbook. I thought I'd be smart and get a big one when I got my first commercial job, and it took about ten years to fill that one. By the time It was done, it had been through some forty moves or so, was falling apart, and looks like it survived (barely) garbagestock 1985.

The smaller logs will fill a little more quickly, won't get as beaten up, and then you can file them away for the time when you're flying enough to fill the big one more quickly.

The logs that Sporty's sells are good quality logs, last a very long time, and have a lot more room to add your own columns.

Use a little Logbook, many of my friends have the big logbook and they are barely even touched it during their four years at Riddle, they still have 3/4s of it free but they have to lug that the big thing everywhere that they go.

As far as all those columns, don't worry about it, if you want to start flying gliders(or seaplanes, whatever) start a second logbook(specfic for that type of flying), same thing with other forms of flying, it will make your life much easier.

One thing that I am considering now though is to buy one of those master logbooks and writing all my stuff in there. So that way I do have a single book with all my totals and entries. But I would still actively only use my small logbooks. Though I am considering getting a palm pilot and just do electronic logging. It has some of the advantages of having all the small logbooks, I can filter it out and show only entries from a praticular Catorgy of aircraft. Even the specfic make and model.

Now keeping it neat and organized is up to you, you must insist and check every entry before you sign it. Double check the math before you do the totals, everything is up to you.

Personally whenever I get a new logbook I number all the pages, that way if I have a checkout at a FBO and they ask if I have expierence in that type of aircraft I can just pull out the sticky note it I do and show them the apporiate pages.

Last edited:
Buy a small one with white pages to start with. That will take you well into your first CFI job. Then after that buy an ASA "Standard Pilot's Master Log". Buy a box of black fine tip pens at Office Depot and always use those same pens in your log.

Do NOT under any circumstances buy any log book with green pages. They just look goofy and if you want to white out small writing mistakes (not large errors or flight time errors, cross those out and write the correction neatly next to it) you will be unable to do so.

If you want to use a computer logbook co-currently with your paper log, update it frequently. You don't want to go back 5000 hours later to put all the time in.

get the big jepp logbook. so what if it takes you ten years to fill it up? it's a very nice logbook with lots of room for growth. plenty of columns for gliders, helos, whatever. why have a seperate logbook for each type?

over the course of nine interviews, i always found it humorous that all of us clones had the little logbook from our student pilot days and the big jepp logbook as well. my little logbook looks immature, and is messy. i'm embarassed to show it, but they want to see them all.

oh yeah, they also make "green" whiteout if you are inclined to use it.

i concur with getting the computer logbook. i wish i had one, they make filling out the flight time grids on apps a lot easier.

Yes, they do make "greenout." I tried it in my student pilot logbook; the problem is it never exactly matches the green logbook page color. If you aren't careful it will look worse. White is much easier and "safer" to work with.

Let me take this opportunity to reiterate what I said above about only whiting out writing errors,etc, etc. If you show up to an airline interview with a logbook full of white out, including flight time totals, etc they will question your attention to detail and probably your honesty as well. Use your own judgement.

My vote goes for the Big Book and Logbook Pro for your computer. Do the update every day you fly to keep data entry from getting away from you.

Green white-out, called "Ledger Green" can be ordered through Staples or Office Depot.

Get the box of pens, too, Sanford Uniball Micro, in Black, of course.

Latest resources

Back