• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

UPDATE 3-UAL, Continental in merger talks-source

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:12pm EDT

By Jui Chakravorty

NEW YORK, April 15 (Reuters) - Continental Airlines Inc has restarted merger talks with UAL Corp' United Airlines, two years after walking away from almost sealing a deal, a source briefed on the matter said on Thursday.

The talks are in very early stages, though much of the groundwork was laid in 2008, the source said. United and Continental came very close to merging at the time, but the talks fell apart as Continental chose to pursue an alliance instead.

The talks come as United is in similar discussions with US Airways Group Inc, but those talks are much farther along, the source said. US Air and United are in talks that could create the second-largest U.S. carrier. Those discussions, aimed at cutting costs and competing with the now combined Delta Air Lines Inc and Northwest Airlines, have been going on for months, the sources said.

UAL, Continental and US Airways declined comment.
Shares of UAL closed up 5.3 percent while Continental closed up 2.2 percent following the news, which was first reported by the New York Times. US Airways closed down 0.1 percent.

Since the news of the United-US Airways talks broke last week, shares of UAL have surged more than 22 percent, despite reports that it would be the acquirer in a deal with US Airways.US Airways shares have risen 9 percent since then, and Continental has climbed 15 percent, reflecting investor expectations of a resumption in United-Continental talks.
"I think it's the path of least resistance from a labor perspective, from a regulatory review perspective and from a political perspective," Stifel Nicolaus analyst Hunter Keay said.

CONSOLIDATION NEEDED
Many airline executives have called for consolidation, saying it is a necessity to allow the industry to return to profitability.
Airlines, struggling with high fuel prices and a pullback in consumer spending amid a weak economy, have lost $50 billion in the past 10 years, according to the International Air Transport Association.
The industry lost $11 billion in 2009 alone.Still, Continental has long said it would prefer to remain independent. But at a conference in March, Chief Executive Jeff Smisek said the company would "bulk up defensively" if it would be in its best interest.

A Continental-United merger might be easier to get through the labor unions, which can be a major force in getting a deal approved.
United's pilot union said on Thursday it would support a United-Continental merger. "For United's pilots, Continental, rather than US Airways, represents a more logical merger partner for United Airlines," the union said in a statement.

UAL's pilots union last week said the pilots would not benefit from a merger with US Airways, adding it would "vehemently oppose" a merger that would not lead to a strong and viable carrier.
A spokeswoman for Continental's pilots union said the group had "no reaction" after news broke Thursday.Even after United and Continental halted merger talks in 2008, their pilot groups have continued to talk up to two to three times a week and discuss the possibility of a merger, Capt. Jay Pierce, head of Continental's pilot union, told Reuters in an interview last week.They have discussed a collective bargaining agreement and talked about a process to merge seniority lists, Pierce said

(Reporting by Jui Chakravorty; Additional reporting by Deepa Seetharaman, Kyle Peterson Editing by Leslie Gevirtz, Gerald E. McCormick, Phil Berlowitz

Wow, go enjoy that. How many 70 seaters or higher does UAL have? How many will your combination have? You can't just dump 100 E170s or CR7s all at once. But, maybe your Colgan DH8-400s can go into Aspen now. Too bad for SkyWest. Good luck pal.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Hey General Lee, look at the article dated TODAY--April 15th--Delta fourth worst in customer service

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100412/ap_on_bi_ge/us_airline_quality

The only airlines with worse customer service were Comair, ASA, and American Eagle. Of those three, how many fly with Delta colors?

what! that must be a mistake, Delta can do no wrong!!!! just ask the General. Delta with their first class Delta Connection seats on 76 seat RJs are the best of the best of the best! ha.

General care to spin it? BTW you voted for those RJs at Delta? If I remember correctly you posted on here how you voted for it. Now you gloat at the possibility of 70 seat jets at CAL? What is your problem?

what! that must be a mistake, Delta can do no wrong!!!! just ask the General. Delta with their first class Delta Connection seats on 76 seat RJs are the best of the best of the best! ha.

General care to spin it? BTW you voted for those RJs at Delta? If I remember correctly you posted on here how you voted for it. Now you gloat at the possibility of 70 seat jets at CAL? What is your problem?

Thanks for that. Actually, you need to get some of your facts straight, since it is sounding like you yourself are not. (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that) That vote you talk about was forced upon us by a BK judge. Had we voted it down, it would have been forced upon us, with worse terms. It was the best we could have done with a BK judge watching. And look where that has put us now----SO far ahead of CAL, USAir, and UAL. Thankfully, a lot of those RJs that were around back then are now being PARKED, and that aint no lie.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Hey General Lee, look at the article dated TODAY--April 15th--Delta fourth worst in customer service

The only airlines with worse customer service were Comair, ASA, and American Eagle. Of those three, how many fly with Delta colors?

Wow, that makes me sad......NOT. The people seem to really like me over here in Dusseldorf....... Next week they will like me in Paris. That's all I can control.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
----SO far ahead of CAL, USAir, and UAL. Thankfully, a lot of those RJs that were around back then are now being PARKED, and that aint no lie.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Um, where exactly are you soooo far ahead. Turns out, except for work rules (which is obviously significant) your contract sucks. Pretty much a pay cut for most at CAL. Also your scope is horrible. We are still waiting for Delta to take over the world, unfortunatly it's not taking place.

The funny thing is that I like the fact that 100% of the time ASA is at least 20-30 min. late. I don't have to worry about missing my flight when I am running late to get to the airport. So, when I see that my connecting flight is ASA, I don't have to rush.

On the other hand, if it is a mainline Delta flight, I need to be on time as they have always been there on-time unless there is a weather situation out of ATL

Just can't figure out why ASA is always late, it does not make any sense other than poor scheduling.

The funny thing is that I like the fact that 100% of the time ASA is at least 20-30 min. late. I don't have to worry about missing my flight when I am running late to get to the airport. So, when I see that my connecting flight is ASA, I don't have to rush.

On the other hand, if it is a mainline Delta flight, I need to be on time as they have always been there on-time unless there is a weather situation out of ATL

Just can't figure out why ASA is always late, it does not make any sense other than poor scheduling.

ASA has been a joke for decades. I was hired there in 1998 and one of the main reasons I chose not to work there was their poor operational reputation. Heck, the pilots I knew there at the time told me I'd be stupid not to take the other offer. I, for the life of me can't seem to understand why they have had little success turning that operation around.

Wow, that makes me sad......NOT. The people seem to really like me over here in Dusseldorf....... Next week they will like me in Paris. That's all I can control.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Are you okay? Seriously. You start an entire thread aimed at pointing out a possible negative situation at another airline(once again, CAL). When people shoot back you retreat into your "well, I fly to some neat destinations" security blanket. Again, you work for the largest airline in the World! You fly a large aircraft! I'm sure the regional guys around ATL envy your big plane and great destinations. Show me a single thread/post in which I wished ill will towards either the pilots of NWA or DAL when you guys announced merger talks. You will not find one. What is your deal? I hope you are okay..

Latest resources

Back