• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hey Fuel Boys! Cool 100LL Trucks.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
looks like the garbage that I have to work on every day.

About two snow seasons ago, I drove a de-ice truck of that vintage. And it was at a major international airport. Go figure, the new trucks would deice a plane with half of the amount of fluid because they would actually heat up properly.

The Jet A truck at my field is an ancient, early '50s Ford (I need to get a pic), still in great shape though. The manager forgot to plug in the block heater a couple of years ago, before the first cold snap of the year and the battery died before it would start, so I was asked to give it a jump. I was skeptical that my little car would have the juice to get it going, but when I saw it had a 6 volt battery, I knew I wouldn't have a problem:laugh: .

That looks kinda like our de-ice truck. Around the same year. It has more rust than paint. It takes about 45 minutes to get the truck operational to spray. About 10 minutes of cranking and pumping the gas to finally get the drive engine to idle. And another 20-30 minutes to get the heaters warmed to 180 degrees. Its kinda funny when a jet crew requests de-ice and we tell them to expect a 30 minute delay...and then I roll up to the jet in that truck.

A while back the maintenance department decided to replace some of the rusted mixture pipes with pvc so when we ran it this year the pipes burst on us while de-icing a G-II. Whoops...hot glycol everywhere!

Latest resources

Back