Hey Falcon 20 retro guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoxFlyr

Anybody know the differences between the TFE731-5ar and the -5br engines? Performance, cost of operation, can an ar be changed to a br? if so, how much money?

AR engines: 4500#
BR engines: 4750#

The BR engine's ITT limitations are a bit higher, and the performance is a big difference. Unfortunately, mine has AR's. It does the job, but man she peters out in the climb when it gets just a little warm outside. The BR #'s for takeoff and cruise really make it THE engine to have. Cost of operation is supposed to be cheaper due to the better fuel economy, however I do not know about maint costs. I believe, but don't quote me 100%, that we were told $500K to upgrade to the BR's when we had them rebuilt on CAMP a couple years ago.

At MCT in cruise I typically see .81/.82 (470 true @ FL370) and fuel flows are 2200, 1800, 1500 (to the end)/hour. I've taken her over 5 hours (a few times) from VNY-TEB nonstop and landed with plenty of fuel. Usually, we try to keep it around 4.5 hour legs. Again, I've heard the BR's are usually around .85 and 5 hours is not that much of a stretch. Though, I've never had first hand knowledge in the BR's, I'm just stating what others have told me.

Hope this helps.

retro falcon with a 731 on it?? that's the new engine! if you wanna go back in time fly one with a set cf700s

DA-20-5BRs

WOW!

QUOTE:

Again, I've heard the BR's are usually around .85 and 5 hours is not that much of a stretch ...

ENDQUOTE

What kind of recreational drugs do you use mate, can I share?

TransMach

WOW!

QUOTE:

Again, I've heard the BR's are usually around .85 and 5 hours is not that much of a stretch ...

ENDQUOTE

What kind of recreational drugs do you use mate, can I share?

TransMach

I guess you don't read well TM. I clearly stated that I do NOT fly the BR engine and stated what others who had flown it told me. Sheesh...what an a$$ remark to make when I'm just trying to answer the guy's question.

If you're so f'ng wise, where are your answers to help the guy?

Thanks Pilotpat for your replies, I have flown the old CF700 and the -5br, but don't have a clue about the -5ar. The bossman started asking me questions about the ARs, so that's why I came here.

If the boss knows the BR numbers, then he wouldn't be impressed at all by the AR's numbers.

For what it's worth, Transmach, our BR 20 would do .84 all day every day. We polled alot of guys every year in school and discovered a wide array of cruise numbers. Some guys said they couldn't get more than .78! Ours was an 84 model, low time. The best was doing 505 TAS at FL290. You would also run out of forward elevator trim below FL270 at MCT.

Seems the 20 is very critical when it comes to slat rigging.

Great airplane. Not much in the class comes close, which is pretty good considering it was designed in the fifties.

Latest resources

Back