• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here we go...lawsuit #1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's like a drug addict saying, "If that judge had just sent me to rehab instead of putting me on probation, I wouldn't have this needle in my arm right now."

With regard to El Al: remember that we are not only the most advanced country in the world, but also the freest (yes, that's how it's spelled).

The Point that most people (Americans) miss is that since the Airlines began, the government has shirked their collective duty to regulate and enforce. I'm not a BIG government guy, but I did a lot of research on this subject pre-9/11 for a Masters program. The government dictates security policy to the airlines instead of actually providing the protection, also dictating monies spent by the airlines, for security, i.e. min-wage rent-a-cops. People did not want to be inconvienced or spend 3 1/2 hours waiting in security and this was perceived as the driving force. Now the pendulum has swung and the gate is closing after the horse is running around setting the barn on fire.

The guy with the shoe bomb is another iteration with the same spin. That's why they call it terrorism. We (the U.S. government) need to become proactive instead of reactive and protect the flying pubic. Inventing and deploying newer technology.

It's ironic whenever the threat of an airline strike is published the President makes a statement that "he will ensure passenger travel and commerce are protected" but they've been protecting the wrong end and until overweight, unmotivated, undertrained, and unprofessional security people are replaced this will continue to be a problem. These same people are paid by the airlines not the gov't. Other facets need to be fixed too.

All people with access to the ramp need to have background checks, look at SLC. There's been a big crack-down there because of the Olympics but I'm sure it's the same all over the system.

Don't mean to make this a diatribe but our livings and the industry is at stake.

No way...

I think instead of pointing fingers, we need to realize that there's no way we can defend against every scenario that's out there. Before Sept. 11, who would have thought that five 'normal' passengers would get up, wielding simple common razor blades, hijack the airplane and then proceed to fly the aircraft into a building full of people? I personally remember watching the news and feeling like this was a plot out of the lastest Tom Clancy thriller. It just was so surreal.

This lawsuit won't fix anything. Even if United had the best security out there, it would have happened. Even if box cutters were banned, they would have devised some weapon from an ink pen or something. These people were willing to die for their cause, and nothing short of death was going to stop them.

The posts above are very true...America is a two-faced society...yesterday we were complaining about having to put our change in the basket as we walked through the metal detectors...today we complain about the lack of security...tomorrow we complain about the presence of too much security imposed on our private lives...it's a never ending circle of public hipocrisy.

That woman that's now claiming to carry the torch for responsible security is probably the same one that wanted a refund last year when she couldn't make her plane on time due to long lines at the security checkpoints. People need to get their heads out of the sky and realize that we're at war with a determined group of criminals, and that no matter what we do or try, they are bound to win a few battles here and there, especially if it was so pre-emptive as Sept 11 was.

Okay, you are right. We are the freest country in the world. And believe me, I like my freedom as much or more than the next guy. But you tell me, how we can make things safer and more secure WITHOUT giving up at least some of that freedom? What is more secure airlines worth to the American people?

Latest resources

Back